Euthanasia and cremation

What do you do when it comes to PTS your dog?

When your dog is still fairly active and appears on the outside still very much the same, but they absolutely HATE Vets and are very stressed at going there.

Home visits seem a bit wrong too, as they aren't a huge fan of strangers in the house and would only be excited/stressed by this also. Seems a bit unfair to cause upset and stress at the last moment.

How do you get around this?

And how can you trust a cremation service to do as said?

Some of you will remember the disgusting discovery that a local cremation business were in fact dumping the bodies and giving customers fake ashes that were not of their beloved pet.

Hello,

A couple of thoughts about putting a dog to sleep with minimal stress -

Can you use a friend's house where the dog is used to going? Less stressful than the vets, and not the dog's space so it won't feel so much like they need to guard it. It's a big thing to ask someone though.

Are there sedatives you could give to the dog beforehand?

Only place is my parents house but that's in North Yorkshire.

I've only got analgesia currently that the Vets have given for palliative.

I really don't think there is a simple answer to this because no situation ever makes this easier.

Is it pretty imminent that you will have to have your dog PTS?

If they really hate the vets then it would be far kinder to have the vet come to your house, and if you have a good vet like we do they won't rush the situation and will allow your dog to calm down once they get there and make sure they are comfortable and are with you at the time.

As for the cremation we used the company that our vets recommend and had our dog cremated on her own. I'm pretty certain they would only use a reputable company, and the receptionists told me how much the people who work there treat every animal with respect and are gentle with them. I know that sounds daft because once they've passed they can't feel any pain, I still couldn't bear my dog not being handled carefully and with love and kindness.

I hope you find peace in whichever decision you make.

When the time comes, though hopefully not yet I would arrange fir the vet to come to you. I'm sure it will be less stressful for you all. Jody Allen on Facebook would help talk you through the cremation xx

It is going to be pretty imminent.

He was diagnosed suddenly with a large cancerous mass on his spleen, but it's also wide spread metastasised to his liver - his bloods have shown it's already failing - and they think it's probably on his heart as they believe it's hemangiosarcoma. The spleenic mass is huge and at risk of rupturing at any time.

He was only diagnosed Wednesday and it was only Tuesday evening the lump became apparent - now he looks almost pregnant, so it's been a very quick aggressive progression.

So I either call it quits, or risk a massive internal bleed, or wait and watch him slow down and lose his appetite etc, which I'm already noticing over the last couple days.

Sending my best to you it must be awful to watch on.

I have met the owner of a pet crematorium in Doncaster and I did not for one minute think the guy could do any wrong. If it is ran anything like Grenoside Crematorium you would be in good hands!

Good luck with whatever you decide, it will almost certainly be worse for you than for your doggie, I hope you have a good friend with you to look after you after.

A few years ago my daschund had the same happen. We were devastated, over the weekend she got worse stopped eating and was obviously in pain, so I called the vets and took her Monday morning. I held her and stroked her to the end, it was very quick and painless, she just peacefully went to sleep. She was cremated and I still have her ashes along with my other pets ashes that have crossed over to rainbow bridge. You will know, your dog will look at you and you will know xx

He's not eaten much today. I know it's coming.

At the moment my main problem is how I'm going to decide to do this, as it's going to have to happen for his benefit - I can't let him suffer, he's too good for that.

I just need to work out how and where would be best for him. I haven't found the solution yet.

Could I suggest that you visit your vet and ask for a sedative for him? In the knowledge of him getting really stressed I'm sure that your vet would prescribe a single dose of valium or something similar so that his last trip is an unstressed one, and then you can decide whether he goes to the vet or the vet comes to him with less worry.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this, and I agree that sometimes you just have to do what is right, and that sometimes that will be well before they have got to the point of having no quality. Keep strong- you're doing it all for the right reasons.

EDIT- I mean going to the vet without him BTW. Any caring vet will talk to you without the pet present, and can then give you a sedative to administer in the comfort of your home a couple of hours before your appointment time, whether that's going to the surgery or the vet coming to you.

As harsh as it sounds it's probably better to do the deed now than wait for the inevitable, it sounds like a very messy, very painful way to go.

It will haunt you for a very long time if that happens.

I've lost two dogs with tumours on the spleen. The first I was aware they had tumours was when they were lethargic and pale gums. By then the tumour had ruptured and the dog had to be pts. Had I known the dog had a tumour I would have taken him to be pts then, heartbreaking though it is. Rather a week too soon than a day too late x