Chapeltown railway station accident 09/10/15

So sad , thoughts are with the ladies family. I agree that it's devestating for the driver also. My friend was a London tube driver and someone jumped in front of his train. At the inquest my friends dad ( who went with him for support ) collapsed and died in the court. He never drove trains again. Just awful.

Terrible for all involved. Please don't forget the paramedics who are called to the scene - traumatic for them too.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The train driver gets a year off on full pay with lots of counciling.

No they don't. Don't talk rubbish.

They get their normal salary IF they aren't OK to carry on working. They get that for up to six months, then their pay is halved.

Some people are fine to continue working, whereas some are not.

The common rumour of 3 fatalities and you get pensioned off is also incorrect.

No they don't. Don't talk rubbish.

They get their normal salary IF they aren't OK to carry on working. They get that for up to six months, then their pay is halved.

Some people are fine to continue working, whereas some are not.

The common rumour of 3 fatalities and you get pensioned off is also incorrect.

Regardless of whether the driver gets help or not. And personally I think there isnt enough support for them when this happens. I do feel for them.

Also was it an accident or suicide? Last time it happened it was suicide. Only reason I am asking is if it was an accident we need to find out how it happened to prevent it from happening again. If it was suicide then no matter how much changes we make it wont stop that happening.

Edited by woodmally

Regardless of whether the driver gets help or not. And personally I think there isnt enough support for them when this happens. I do feel for them.

Also was it an accident or suicide? Last time it happened it was suicide. Only reason I am asking is if it was an accident we need to find out how it happened to prevent it from happening again. If it was suicide then no matter how much changes we make it wont stop that happening.

Leeds to Nottingham train doesn`t stop at Chapeltown and speed limit through the station is 60mph AND there are no signs to instruct drivers to sound there horn on approach (although some do but very rarely). Perhaps this should be looked into by the powers that be

Leeds to Nottingham train doesn`t stop at Chapeltown and speed limit through the station is 60mph AND there are no signs to instruct drivers to sound there horn on approach (although some do but very rarely). Perhaps this should be looked into by the powers that be

In many places on the network, statutory "Whistle" boards have been removed by Network Rail after noise nuisance complaints from local residents. I'm not sure whether Chapeltown station approach is one of them.

Yes it certainly wouldnt harm them blowing their horn. I dont want to prejudge any enquiry but what I know of that station its most likely suicide. Like I said if it isnt I would like to know how it happened as people dont generally cross the tracks there. They either go up one staircase for one platform or one for the other one.

Also as an aside gripe I think the way suicides are required by the mental health charities to be reported is all wrong. They require the press to simply stick to the facts and say very little else. The issue I have is if we dont know any more about why people take their own life in such a way how can we look out for the signs in our friends colleagues and family. There may be someone thinking of doing it right now and I wouldnt know what to look out for. If I and others did maybe we could provide the necessary support early and prevent a sad loss of life.

I was present at the time and it very disturbing and speaking with network rail and police in site it actually wasn't made clear from the cctv if she was bending down to get something or walked out and I do think rather than worrying about the drivers pay rate we should focus on both the elderly lady and her family as well as the driver for who they are not what there about to financially receive. Seeing staff picking up body remains from over a 30 metre length of track could not of been nice for those also. So let's all read this and realise just how lucky we all are and have a thought for those involved please people. R.I.P

Yes it certainly wouldnt harm them blowing their horn. I dont want to prejudge any enquiry but what I know of that station its most likely suicide. Like I said if it isnt I would like to know how it happened as people dont generally cross the tracks there. They either go up one staircase for one platform or one for the other one.

Also as an aside gripe I think the way suicides are required by the mental health charities to be reported is all wrong. They require the press to simply stick to the facts and say very little else. The issue I have is if we dont know any more about why people take their own life in such a way how can we look out for the signs in our friends colleagues and family. There may be someone thinking of doing it right now and I wouldnt know what to look out for. If I and others did maybe we could provide the necessary support early and prevent a sad loss of life.

As they should, would you want them to hound families for details or even make stuff up?

Truth is with mental health even loved ones won't necessary know and therefore unable to assist before or after a suicide. First place to combat suicide is highlighting to those feeling in need the support available and the need to seek help professionally or personally.

This is rather off topic anyway since we don't know the reason, RIP to the lady.

As they should, would you want them to hound families for details or even make stuff up?

Truth is with mental health even loved ones won't necessary know and therefore unable to assist before or after a suicide. First place to combat suicide is highlighting to those feeling in need the support available and the need to seek help professionally or personally.

This is rather off topic anyway since we don't know the reason, RIP to the lady.

No I wouldn't want them to make stuff up. But what we need to do is have an open discussion about suicide rather than some very basic facts that help nobody. No one can bring a life back but if we can use what we have found out from one tragedy to help identify other people who may be thinking of ending their life then surely that is good. Then friends families and work colleagues will be able to better recognise signs and the appropriate support put in place for that person.

There isn't enough open dialogue about mental illness which we need to have in this country to reduce if not stop completely these tragic events from unfolding.

No I wouldn't want them to make stuff up. But what we need to do is have an open discussion about suicide rather than some very basic facts that help nobody. No one can bring a life back but if we can use what we have found out from one tragedy to help identify other people who may be thinking of ending their life then surely that is good. Then friends families and work colleagues will be able to better recognise signs and the appropriate support put in place for that person.

There isn't enough open dialogue about mental illness which we need to have in this country to reduce if not stop completely these tragic events from unfolding.

In most cases a person wouldn’t display any outward signals, it’s not something someone can easily identify and intervene with those in need have to realize they need help and know where to seek it.

Your suggestion to break down a suicide and learn the build-up to it is a very personal and private matter which should only become public if the family agrees to it and not done by default, but I do agree with your closing comment.

I was present at the time and it very disturbing and speaking with network rail and police in site it actually wasn't made clear from the cctv if she was bending down to get something or walked out and I do think rather than worrying about the drivers pay rate we should focus on both the elderly lady and her family as well as the driver for who they are not what there about to financially receive. Seeing staff picking up body remains from over a 30 metre length of track could not of been nice for those also. So let's all read this and realise just how lucky we all are and have a thought for those involved please people. R.I.P

Gave me shivers...