Day to day supply cover in schools.

Trust me you haven't put anything to bed, so feel free to come down from your high and mighty pedestal in a world where you clearly feel you are superior to the rest of us and stop with the patronising and very unnecessary tone.

See it from my point of view.

First you complain that teachers should do their training days during their holiday time - I pointed out that they do. Then you suggest that teachers should be financially penalised for striking, then I point out that they are.

But you still complain, what am I supposed to do?

What do you mean what are you supposed to do???? You're not responsible for 'doing' anything for me so take a step back on that one.

My point I shall explain AGAIN is that as a profession they have no need to moan, they don't get terrible pay, they get plenty of holidays and they don't have to work long hours for the majority of the year. I didn't ask for you to explain about training days whether or not they are during the very lengthy holidays they have, or whether they are penalised for striking - of course they should be, anyone else would be given their first warning if they decided to not go into work.

Please accept that you won't change the opinions of many many people in this country who feel teachers are really not in a position to complain about their jobs as they do.

Edited by ll49

What do you mean what are you supposed to do???? You're not my keeper, you're not responsible for 'doing' anything for me so take a step back and get over yourself on that one.

My point I shall explain AGAIN is that as a profession they have no need to moan, they don't get terrible pay, they get plenty of holidays and they don't have to work long hours for the majority of the year. I didn't ask for you to explain about training days whether or not they are during the very lengthy holidays they have, or whether they are penalised for striking - of course they should be, anyone else would be given their first warning if they decided to not go into work.

Please accept that you won't change the opinions of many many people in this country who feel teachers are really not in a position to complain about their jobs as they do.

Ok lets sum up.

We're on a thread where you've been moaning about teachers not having their training days during holiday time, even though it's been pointed out to you they they do, but you continue to moan.

If your stance is that this information not enough to change your opinion that teachers should do their training during their holiday time, that's fair enough. I can't argue against that if that is your view.

Lets also make it clear that I've never made a comment upon teachers moaning, I've tried to put you straight about teachers training days. So what opinions do you believe I'm trying to change?

Lets move on to your next opinion. You state that anyone else would be given their first warning if they went out on strike. How did you come to this conclusion when strikes happen in plenty of other jobs and professions?

During and added on are two very different things - instead of going back on a Wednesday after the holidays they go back on a Thursday due to a 'inset day or teacher training day' or whatever you want to call it, that isn't during it's added on to the 6 weeks they've already had off.

I can't remember the number but students, by law, complete a set number of hours in education per year. Teachers have a minimum number of hours they must work, which is more than the set number of hours students spend in education. Hence the training days make up these hours, they are not an extension of the holiday and nor do they take time away from the time students have to be educated, legally that's not possible.

I may be incorrect but I also get the impression you think we don't work on inset/training days. I am yet to attend one that does not have a detailed itinerary from 8.30am-4pm.

In response to another comment elsewhere: teachers/schools don't see a penny of the fines imposed on students for missing days, that's a government policy imposed in the form of a LEA charge and, as already pointed out, we don't get paid when striking.

Edited by Jobean
Add on

Ok lets sum up.

We're on a thread where you've been moaning about teachers not having their training days during holiday time, even though it's been pointed out to you they they do, but you continue to moan.

If your stance is that this information not enough to change your opinion that teachers should do their training during their holiday time, that's fair enough. I can't argue against that if that is your view.

Lets also make it clear that I've never made a comment upon teachers moaning, I've tried to put you straight about teachers training days. So what opinions do you believe I'm trying to change?

Lets move on to your next opinion. You state that anyone else would be given their first warning if they went out on strike. How did you come to this conclusion when strikes happen in plenty of other jobs and professions?

If you look back at my thread then I didn't actually moan about teachers not doing training during their holiday time, it was someone else who stated this and I simply agreed so no need to drag that point on and on as you are doing.

You're right strikes do happen in other professions (predominantly the public sector) which I also think is wrong for them to do and they should be penalised in some way for doing so, as the majority of professions (not in the public sector of course) simply wouldn't get away with doing this without incurring a much heftier punishment than losing a days pay.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 11:29 ----------

I can't remember the number but students, by law, complete a set number of hours in education per year. Teachers have a minimum number of hours they must work, which is more than the set number of hours students spend in education. Hence the training days make up these hours, they are not an extension of the holiday and nor do they take time away from the time students have to be educated, legally that's not possible.

I may be incorrect but I also get the impression you think we don't work on inset/training days. I am yet to attend one that does not have a detailed itinerary from 8.30am-4pm.

In response to another comment elsewhere: teachers/schools don't see a penny of the fines imposed on students for missing days, that's a government policy imposed in the form of a LEA charge and, as already pointed out, we don't get paid when striking.

I sincerely hope you do work on inset/training days otherwise what would be the point to them, but also 8.30-4 is not even a full working day.

^ but organised striking, as part of a union, is legal in any job, public or private sector. So, as you put it they 'would get away with it' as it would be illegal to 'impose a heftier punishment'.

Education is supposed to be a partnership between the teachers and the parents. Both have the best interests of the child at heart. They should work together and provide a united front. Children are very quick to pick up on discord and resentment (and exploit it.)

Schools do their best to provide a good all round education for their students, and many offer after school clubs and /or care to make things simpler for working parents. And some also offer holiday clubs. (If your school doesn't, get the PTA onto it and see if something can be arranged.)

Personally, I am totally against fining parents for taking children out of school on holiday, as are many other teachers, as it promotes this 'us and them' attitude and is not conducive to good relations. Most parents are sensible enough to know not to do it during exam years, and when tests are being done.

It is a government decision to fine parents, not the schools.

Parents are encouraged to come in and see the teacher for any problems that arise, but first thing in the morning is not always a good time as the teacher will have a myriad of things to do and sort out as the children arrive. However a note or a mention that you need to see them will allow them to arrange a better time.

Teachers are busy people, as are parents, but a bit of cooperation and understanding on both sides goes a very long way.

One of you pack in work, look after your kids and forgo the second BMW and transatlantic holiday. Then its no probs

I wish.

One ford focus and not been on holiday abroad for four years but thanks for caring! :)

If you look back at my thread then I didn't actually moan about teachers not doing training during their holiday time, it was someone else who stated this and I simply agreed so no need to drag that point on and on as you are doing.

You're right strikes do happen in other professions (predominantly the public sector) which I also think is wrong for them to do and they should be penalised in some way for doing so, as the majority of professions (not in the public sector of course) simply wouldn't get away with doing this without incurring a much heftier punishment than losing a days pay.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 11:29 ----------

I sincerely hope you do work on inset/training days otherwise what would be the point to them, but also 8.30-4 is not even a full working day.

You are assuming there is an hours lunch in there, which would be incorrect and that there is nothing to do once the actual itinerary is done with, again incorrect. Occasionally we might get a cheeky half an hour less than the standard 9-5. I'm sure you don't want me to explain all the compulsory evenings that make up for that though, as pointed out several times they are part of the job.

Edited by Jobean
Add on

You are assuming there is an hours lunch in there, which would be incorrect and that there is nothing to do once the actual itinerary is done with, again incorrect.

In my experience, the lunch hour is the most productive part of your average INSET day. It's when you get the chance to return to your classroom and do something that's actually useful...:)

I wish.

One ford focus and not been on holiday abroad for four years but thanks for caring! :)

OK, fair point, but have you iphones, big TVs, go out for restaurant meals etc? ... all which could be sacrificed to pay your childcare. Maybe you don't and you're in a minority, but you get the gist. It's not a school's responsibility to look after your children when school is closed. That's plain wrong. Whilst I wouldn't deny anyone the right to have kids, you have to consider if you can afford to have them at the family planning stage.

Next, you'll be wanting school to be open till evening - to give them tea, supper, get them into their pj's so that they're not costing you.

Sorry if it annoys, but I have strong feelings on this subject

In my experience, the lunch hour is the most productive part of your average INSET day. It's when you get the chance to return to your classroom and do something that's actually useful...:)

...such as stare at all your lessons, that you spent the holidays planning, and realise that under all the new initiatives introduced that day everything you have done is absolute tosh? Thus spend the lunchtime starting to rework them so that there might be a slight chance it's sorted by 9pm night! :hihi::hihi: