Sheffield Wednesday

CorkerSWFC

In the early 1990s Sheffield Wednesday Football Club were a true force in English football, competing in Cup finals, European competitions and challenging the elite in the game at the top of the first division, and then the newly formed Premier League.

However, since relegation from the Premier League at the turn of the century the Hillsborough outfit have suffered more than most, having to face football in the third tier of English football more than once. They have also suffered huge debts, numerous false dawns and constant worry over their future.

However, there are now signs that the giant is finally awakening from their slumber.

Since the start of the summer a series of events have threatened to excite the massive, loyal fan-base that The Owls have following them game after game.

A new owner with money that he is more than happy to invest in the club, a new manager, an abundance of new quality signings and a new pitch, to name just a few things, have occurred. Even a new scoreboard has excited the supporters, which just goes to show the barren times that the club have faced over the last fifteen years.

Despite an indifferent start in the league this season Wednesday have now won their last four league and cup games, which has included a shock 1-0 Capital One Cup victory at Newcastle United. Although Newcastle are struggling themselves in the Premier League it was interesting to note that it was the Championship side who fielded a second string team against what many saw as a near first choice Newcastle team. The scoreline does not reflect the dominance of Wednesday during the game.

Now they have been rewarded with a plumb tie in two weeks time at Hillsborough when Arsenal are the visitors in the Capital One Cup. A night that has the potential to rekindle memories of the glory days back in the nineties.

The league is of course their priority. Currently Wednesday are in tenth place in the Championship, three points away from third placed Reading. They are handily placed to mount a challenge this season and now manager Carlos Carvalhal has had time to get to know his players, and allow them to bond, Wednesday look to have a squad capable of going all the way with a brand of exciting football that they are trying to play.

The Championship though is not an easy league to escape from so Wednesday's followers will need to patient this season as there will be ups and downs but ultimately Wednesday do have a realistic chance of making at least the play-offs if all goes to plan.

Owls supporters will not want another false dawn and I get the feeling that they are truly excited about what the future holds. Their new chairman has committed to promoting the club and with his endless fortunes he looks set to plough more money into the club in order to achieve his aim. I get the feeling he is not going to disappoint his supporters.

The Premier League is not as far away as it has been before for Sheffield Wednesday and I have no doubt they will be a welcome addition to the Premier League if, or when, promotion occurs.

Will this be the year?

Hi Corks, as an Owl who can remember the success of the 60's and the many disappointments since I am not optimistic for this year. It takes a while to build a good team and the Owls league position is a bit false as they have only beaten teams at the bottom. I think they will struggle against the top teams this year and will kick on next year when they should be ready for promotion.

Mick

We will only get better , never thought for a second we were not going forward with the changes made ,the target for promotion is next season when we will be unstoppable.

Unstoppable eh... at least it's not just the blades fans that get carried away after a few wins :D

Is the OP taken from some article in Owlstalk?

I enjoyed the read Corks - but I am only cautiously optimistic and still, unsure that I want Premiership football next season. I know, I know, it's about the amount of cash that's available but I would hate to be the league's whipping boys - and just how much would my season ticket cost me then?!? :hihi: