Butchers shop recommendations

Bradway quality meats, fantastic quality at a fair price.

Mr Pickles i've found is quite overpriced.

go to Makro butchers counter, buy a full size Sirloin strip or full rib eye joint cut it into steaks and freeze been doing this for years, way cheaper and better quality than most butchers and certainly supermarkets, i have just bought almost a full Sirloin for £48 and got 16 good thick steaks out of it.

Makro's meat is of unknown origin, surely on a Sheffield forum on quality meats we should be looking at locally produced and sold meats. There's a little butchers on eccleshall rd selling all beef,lamb and poultry sourced direct from local farms. All high welfare farms and some organic. If it's quality you want

The butchers at the top of Twenty well lane at Bradway is really good

Also Border View farm. All meat is bred on the farm. Iv never tasted better sirloin steak. Meat from a van? Is he a proper butcher or is his meat prepacked and just sliced up in the van and does he know which farm this meat comes from?

Edited by Pkingy
spelling misstake

If over Rotherham side, Fred's Butchers in Brinsworth is quality, great meat there

I would guess that they mostly all get their meat from the same wholesale butchers?

I don't agree with last post,good quality butchers should source there own meat direct from farms. Animals that have been through the process of cattle market,then abattoir. Never make good quality meat. To much stress involved. Farm shops or butchers that source direct are the way to top quality fully traceable meat. And not always more expensive,as there's no middle man taking there cut(so to speak)

I don't agree with last post,good quality butchers should source there own meat direct from farms. Animals that have been through the process of cattle market,then abattoir. Never make good quality meat. To much stress involved. Farm shops or butchers that source direct are the way to top quality fully traceable meat. And not always more expensive,as there's no middle man taking there cut(so to speak)

Local butchers used to to be able to slaughter their own animals. It meant less traveling and less stress being driven up the motorway stuffed in a truck. Unfortunately new rules mean that slaughterhouses are industrial sized businesses that have to be licensed etc...which is all well and good in so far a CJD is concerned but it's not so good for animal welfare or local producers.

Local butchers used to to be able to slaughter their own animals. It meant less traveling and less stress being driven up the motorway stuffed in a truck. Unfortunately new rules mean that slaughterhouses are industrial sized businesses that have to be licensed etc...which is all well and good in so far a CJD is concerned but it's not so good for animal welfare or local producers.

Wasteney's butchers in Grenoside village still slaughter their own meat. They're also high quality and cheap, two things that don't normally go together.

Unfortunately they're on the opposite side of Sheffield from me so I've only used them 2 or 3 times.

---------- Post added 06-04-2016 at 23:33 ----------

Traditionally the meat from a stressed animal was more expensive since it was thought to taste better.

Bull Baiting with dogs which used to take place in market squares produced meat which was highly valued and sold at a premium

You've got a point there, I think what's changed is that,in those times meat was eaten straight away. Meat is now hung to allow the muscles to relax,making the meat tastier and keep longer. As every carcass has to be inspected after slaughter for bruising and stamped fit for eating before being moved.

Wasteney's, the butchers in Grenoside.

Why is it so little known?

They tick all the boxes for modern foodies, locally sourced meat of the highest quality, 28day+ dry aged beef which is crusted and black on the outside just as it should be. It's very far from supermarket meat and far superior. They are one of the very few butchers left in the country who have their own abattoir and slaughter on site, so better animal welfare. They're totally old school, in a good way, free bones for the dogs, etc.

If they were in Borough Market in London they could charge £40/kilo for their Rib Eye steak. In fact it's amazingly cheap at £12/kilo, works out £5.50/lb in old money. Had some tonight and it outclasses anything I've had for a long time.

Edited by Nagel
Mod ****eration