Butchers shop recommendations

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

Haha I like it. He's got a new customer!

Good stuff, Beeches of Walkley is great.

14 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Good stuff, Beeches of Walkley is great.

Looks good from website blurb, I'm giving it a try 🥩

As a  liver lover I had to reply. Roe Deer liver is stunningly delicious, it knocks "reared liver" for six, honestly. As served in Scotland, slice it fine, show it the frying pan with a little butter and enjoy. I don't know a butcher that sells it mind.

Angel1.

28 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As a  liver lover I had to reply. Roe Deer liver is stunningly delicious, it knocks "reared liver" for six, honestly. As served in Scotland, slice it fine, show it the frying pan with a little butter and enjoy. I don't know a butcher that sells it mind.

Angel1.

Reminds me of an Adam Ant song - "Stand and deer liver".

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

10/10 that's a good un.

Angel1.

On 10/02/2019 at 21:23, Longcol said:

:mrgreen: I can't get that song out of my head now!

On 10/02/2019 at 20:54, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I don't think I've ever had it.  I imagine you'd have to get it from a butcher that had big demand for deer, so Scotland might be a good bet.  Where to start though eh?  It's a big place! 

I do buy venison occasionally from the butcher's I've already mentioned, I like their venison sausages as well.  But I don't think I've ever seen venison liver in there.   Maybe Chatsworth butcher's at the farm shop can advise you?   They've got loads of deer there.  

Speaking of venison.   years ago I used to go to a place in Grantham, called the Angel & Royal.  It was a hotel, part of the Trust House Forte chain, but it had a lovely old bar in there, massive open fireplace which took up the whole of one wall.   At certain times of year they'd have a venison roast.  They literally hung a whole deer carcass from a hook in front of the fire which gently rotated and slow roast it in front of a blazing fire.  It would be roasting all day - then in the evening they'd serve it up.  Amazing!  

4 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I don't think I've ever had it.  I imagine you'd have to get it from a butcher that had big demand for deer, so Scotland might be a good bet.  Where to start though eh?  It's a big place! 

I do buy venison occasionally from the butcher's I've already mentioned, I like their venison sausages as well.  But I don't think I've ever seen venison liver in there.   Maybe Chatsworth butcher's at the farm shop can advise you?   They've got loads of deer there.  

Speaking of venison.   years ago I used to go to a place in Grantham, called the Angel & Royal.  It was a hotel, part of the Trust House Forte chain, but it had a lovely old bar in there, massive open fireplace which took up the whole of one wall.   At certain times of year they'd have a venison roast.  They literally hung a whole deer carcass from a hook in front of the fire which gently rotated and slow roast it in front of a blazing fire.  It would be roasting all day - then in the evening they'd serve it up.  Amazing!  

In my previous life when I could walk without any pain, I was fortunate enough to be part of a syndicate who rented woodland in Scotland. So I harvested my own Roe Deer and the occasional Red. Happy days for me, not so for the Deer. 

Angel1

I’m looking for any opinions on Simmonite butchers on Division Street, I understand they used to have a stall in Castle Market. I’m particularly interested in the quality of the meat slices, pies and pasties. 

Calves liver is nice too, very pink , tender and sliced thinly.