Butchers shop recommendations

Pattersons in fifth park excellent meat and great prices

It depends on what values you have I suppose. The general public has lost sight of what good meat even looks like - never mind the taste.

Supermarkets turn out freshly killed meat that has been pumped full of all kinds of chemicals, antibiotics, growth hormones, etc.

Take beef for example. It should be hung for a minimum of 21 days (preferably longer) for the flavour to mature. The appearance of good beef isn't bright red. It's more purple towards black. Your forefathers would have known that. But in these days of fast food and multi billion supermarket chains all that takes a back seat.

We have become uneducated as to what good meat actually looks and tastes like.

If you have a good local butcher support them. The chances are their prices will be higher than your supermarket but it really is worth it.

The best one I know of in Sheffield is the Real Meat Company at Banner Cross. Absolutely top quality meat - but - probably twice the price of a supermarket and half as expensive as the butchers over the road.

But worth it imo.

Yeah I agree I am all for supporting the local butchers 100% The butchers in the Moor market are same price or cheaper than the supermarkets and you no what you are getting is top quality meat & like you say not pumped full of chemicals etc helping out local business's

Yeah I agree I am all for supporting the local butchers 100% The butchers in the Moor market are same price or cheaper than the supermarkets and you no what you are getting is top quality meat & like you say not pumped full of chemicals etc helping out local business's

I don't think you do know that about meat from the market though - sorry to contradict you - but the market is cheap meat for a reason. (And it's mostly the bright red stuff). You don't know where it's come from, or how it's been raised. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

I come from a butchering family so I know a bit about this - and I know exactly what I'm looking for when I see a meat counter.

If you're lucky enough to live in a rural, or semi-rural, location you can often find a local butcher's shop which sells locally reared meat. This is preferable to buying meat from a butcher's that has had the meat shipped in from afar, or even from abroad, in some cases!

Then you need to know how long they hang it for, in the case of beef. As mentioned, it should be at least 21 days. Have a look at the fat on it as well.

The fat on a piece of beef should be thick and yellowish in colour and be naturally part of the meat, NOT held on with pieces of string! Some butchers these days take a thin slice of "mechanically recovered" beef fat - which has probably not even come from the same animal - and they just layer it on top of a piece of meat and then hold it down with string. You can tell, because the fat is very white in colour. And when you cook the joint it just shrinks to nothing. Next time you are in a supermarket have a look at their roasting joints and you'll see exactly this. Even in M&S they do the same cheap trick.

Buying beef with a nice natural thick yellow fat on the outside makes a huge difference to the flavour of the joint. You don't have to eat the fat but the fat bastes the meat naturally whilst cooking and makes it so tender and juicy. (As long as you don't sacrifice it by overcooking it).

I use a few different butcher's depending on what I want - and what they have. The Real Meat Company at Banner Cross is, as I've said, probably the best one I know of in Sheffield. I also go to Castlegate Butchers (Hancock's) at Stoney Middleton (they have local Derbyshire beef) and way off in the other direction, I go to Brindon Addy, at Hade Edge, near Holmfirth.

If you want to see what good meat actually looks like, you could look up Brindon Addy on Google. They've got a good website with some nice photo's of proper meat like it should look.

I don't think you do know that about meat from the market though - sorry to contradict you - but the market is cheap meat for a reason. (And it's mostly the bright red stuff). You don't know where it's come from, or how it's been raised. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

I come from a butchering family so I know a bit about this - and I know exactly what I'm looking for when I see a meat counter.

If you're lucky enough to live in a rural, or semi-rural, location you can often find a local butcher's shop which sells locally reared meat. This is preferable to buying meat from a butcher's that has had the meat shipped in from afar, or even from abroad, in some cases!

Then you need to know how long they hang it for, in the case of beef. As mentioned, it should be at least 21 days. Have a look at the fat on it as well.

The fat on a piece of beef should be thick and yellowish in colour and be naturally part of the meat, NOT held on with pieces of string! Some butchers these days take a thin slice of "mechanically recovered" beef fat - which has probably not even come from the same animal - and they just layer it on top of a piece of meat and then hold it down with string. You can tell, because the fat is very white in colour. And when you cook the joint it just shrinks to nothing. Next time you are in a supermarket have a look at their roasting joints and you'll see exactly this. Even in M&S they do the same cheap trick.

Buying beef with a nice natural thick yellow fat on the outside makes a huge difference to the flavour of the joint. You don't have to eat the fat but the fat bastes the meat naturally whilst cooking and makes it so tender and juicy. (As long as you don't sacrifice it by overcooking it).

I use a few different butcher's depending on what I want - and what they have. The Real Meat Company at Banner Cross is, as I've said, probably the best one I know of in Sheffield. I also go to Castlegate Butchers (Hancock's) at Stoney Middleton (they have local Derbyshire beef) and way off in the other direction, I go to Brindon Addy, at Hade Edge, near Holmfirth.

If you want to see what good meat actually looks like, you could look up Brindon Addy on Google. They've got a good website with some nice photo's of proper meat like it should look.

A very interesting post, thanks. I had always assumed that all butchers get their meats from the same small handful of wholesale butchers, and so were all pretty similar. But I shall visit some of those butchers you mention and give them a try :)

Not local but Grahams at Fishlake nr Doncaster SUPERB

Want to try some cooked go to Black Bull at Waterside Thorne for a Sunday Carvery *****

Shortly moving to Fulwood and know that, unlike where I've been, there are a few butchers to choose from in the corridor between Broomhill and Crosspool. Has anyone a particular recommendation of D H Bowyer, S10 Butchers and others?

Have you tried the butchers at Ranmoor next to the West 10 wine bar.

Does anyone know of butchers in Sheffield that do a delivery service?

1 hour ago, Snooker147 said:

The Real Meat Company at Banner Cross does. I don't know if there's a minimum order though.

1 hour ago, Snooker147 said:

All butchers do liver 😀

On 24/08/2014 at 12:19, FulwoodFella said:

It depends how high your standards are. Bowyers is basic, and if you need basic stuff, ie bog standard British beef, lamb and pork you'll be fine, nothing is particularly high quality, but it's cheap. Ian Quince in Ranmoor is much better for beef and lamb, and veal on occasion, he's a very good butcher and a nice man, I regularly buy beef and lamb joints from him. But his chicken is intensively reared, and the pork isn't that good.

S10 butchers in Broomhill is no where near as good as it looks, cheap meat dressed up a bit, at a high price. There's no where in the area I would buy pork or chicken from, you'll need to go a bit further afield to get decent free range meat, Chris Beech in Walkley is the place for that.

Err, no you don't need to go further afield to get decent free range meat. 

Real Meat Company at Banner Cross is excellent and does not have any meat that has been subjected to antibiotics, growth hormones, preservatives, intensely reared, etc.  It is all  from British farms.  BUT, it's a lot more expensive than just most other butchers in the city.   You are paying extra for this.  But all the meat from there is top quality and they do great sausages too.  

Interestingly, the idea of a campaign for a Real Meat company started with a chap called "Richard Guy".   He's originally a farmer, but is passionate about animal welfare and started up a campaign to acknowledge certain butcher's around the country, who only dealt in meat of the highest welfare.  It's an idea that never really caught on - unfortunately.  Much the same as when folks say they prefer "organic" this that and the other, but actually don't want to pay more for it.   At it's peak the Richard Guy's Real Meat Company had found just 7 butcher's shops in the entire country, who were willing to provide meat of only the highest standard, to the general pubic. 

The idea failed...you can read more about it here if you want...

http://www.realmeat.co.uk/  

and only 2 of the original 7 shops nationwide have carried on independently to the same high standards.  The Real Meat company at Banner Cross is one of them.  

We're very lucky to have this standard of butcher's here in Sheffield.  But not everyone will want to pay their prices, this being Sheffield after all!

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

Err, no you don't need to go further afield to get decent free range meat. 

Real Meat Company at Banner Cross is excellent and does not have any meat that has been subjected to antibiotics, growth hormones, preservatives, intensely reared, etc.  It is all  from British farms.  BUT, it's a lot more expensive than just most other butchers in the city.   You are paying extra for this.  But all the meat from there is top quality and they do great sausages too.  

Interestingly, the idea of a campaign for a Real Meat company started with a chap called "Richard Guy".   He's originally a farmer, but is passionate about animal welfare and started up a campaign to acknowledge certain butcher's around the country, who only dealt in meat of the highest welfare.  It's an idea that never really caught on - unfortunately.  Much the same as when folks say they prefer "organic" this that and the other, but actually don't want to pay more for it.   At it's peak the Richard Guy's Real Meat Company had found just 7 butcher's shops in the entire country, who were willing to provide meat of only the highest standard, to the general pubic. 

The idea failed...you can read more about it here if you want...

http://www.realmeat.co.uk/  

and only 2 of the original 7 shops nationwide have carried on independently to the same high standards.  The Real Meat company at Banner Cross is one of them.  

We're very lucky to have this standard of butcher's here in Sheffield.  But not everyone will want to pay their prices, this being Sheffield after all!

I regularly thank my lucky stars that  living in Sheffield we have such a standard of butcher.

You can see it now on the estate agents brochures. 

“Excellent local school,  transport links....high standard of butcher”

Just a shame only an elite few can bring themselves to pay the prices eh?

a small network of butcher connoisseurs   able to take advantage. Silent nods of acknowledgement between them in the queue .............whilst the rest of us are forced to ram raid Asda for a pack of pork chops.