Can you work for minimum wage ?

Become a cage fighter. Dont peak untill mid thirties. Gives you a couple of years training in striking, grappling and ground game.

I am looking for a new job as im sick of working on the doors only doing 5 to 6 hours maybe 3 nights a week, its late at night and really feel i dont get paid enough as its £10 ph so £50-£60 per night. I really think it should be £80 to £100 per night for the crap i put up with people trying to glass me etc lol.

I have been looking at other security jobs and other jobs in general and they seem to be paying around £7 per hour which i personally wouldnt scratch my behind for never mind consider, i really think my problem has come from earning to much at such a young age as when i was in my early 20,s i was on £15 per hour for years and had money coming out if my ears being a plasterer.

Whats your views thanks.

Clearly you can work for Minimum Wage as many do - but the Government's initiative to move to a Living Wage shows that many simply can't afford to.

Interestingly, however, one of my best mates is a doorman of your age and has been for around ten years. He gets paid considerably more than Minimum Wage. But then he has been through every training course associated with the profession, including first aid etc. I don't know if this has any bearing on his status and the salary that commands. I'm sure you know far more.

Become a plumber. I could do with a reliable plumber. Pref one that can do plastering and guttering too.

Clearly you can work for Minimum Wage as many do - but the Government's initiative to move to a Living Wage shows that many simply can't afford to.

Interestingly, however, one of my best mates is a doorman of your age and has been for around ten years. He gets paid considerably more than Minimum Wage. But then he has been through every training course associated with the profession, including first aid etc. I don't know if this has any bearing on his status and the salary that commands. I'm sure you know far more.

I dont earn minimum wage on the doors its £10 ph

its rubbish money. A bloke I went to Uni with 12 years ago was earning £12 P/H which was standard.

I'd get out, find yourself a proper job.

That doesn't sound right for a doorman. As above, I also have a friend who was doing it over 10 years ago and getting £13. And that was when minimum wage was much less

That doesn't sound right for a doorman. As above, I also have a friend who was doing it over 10 years ago and getting £13. And that was when minimum wage was much less

on certain jobs my mate was earning 15 per hour, I seem to recall. But 12 was the standard rate on midweek. It was really easy money too. The bloke looked like a juiced up version of vin diesel. :hihi:

Maybe after midnight on a weekend you get more money? it was a long time ago so cant remember precisely.

I am looking for a new job as im sick of working on the doors only doing 5 to 6 hours maybe 3 nights a week, its late at night and really feel i dont get paid enough as its £10 ph so £50-£60 per night. I really think it should be £80 to £100 per night for the crap i put up with people trying to glass me etc lol.

I have been looking at other security jobs and other jobs in general and they seem to be paying around £7 per hour which i personally wouldnt scratch my behind for never mind consider, i really think my problem has come from earning to much at such a young age as when i was in my early 20,s i was on £15 per hour for years and had money coming out if my ears being a plasterer.

Whats your views thanks.

You considered working on cash in transit Starlc? G4S paying over £11 ph and taking on, with your background you should be ok

its rubbish money. A bloke I went to Uni with 12 years ago was earning £12 P/H which was standard.

I'd get out, find yourself a proper job.

£10 ph is the going rate now im affraid and a lot of companys pay less than that as i have spoken to a few different companys.

---------- Post added 08-10-2015 at 21:23 ----------

on certain jobs my mate was earning 15 per hour, I seem to recall. But 12 was the standard rate on midweek. It was really easy money too. The bloke looked like a juiced up version of vin diesel. :hihi:

Maybe after midnight on a weekend you get more money? it was a long time ago so cant remember precisely.

If you ever go to town ask and you will be suprised.

---------- Post added 08-10-2015 at 21:23 ----------

You considered working on cash in transit Starlc? G4S paying over £11 ph and taking on, with your background you should be ok

No but good point and will look into it, many thanks

---------- Post added 08-10-2015 at 21:31 ----------

You have 3 options:

1. Go back to being a plasterer
  2. Earn minimum wage in a drone job
  3. Retrain

Without having the skills or qualifications an employer is looking for, you're not in the position to say "I'm not working for minimum wage" unfortunately.

I am because of being able to plaster to a high standard and having a sia licence but understand where you are coming from.

I am because of being able to plaster to a high standard and having a sia licence but understand where you are coming from.

I don't mean this offensively but you need to lower you expectations.

Im sure you were a good plasterer to a high standard but you seeming choose to no longer pursue that role.

You are now working in security and lots and lots of other people also have SIA licences. Many of those earn little or nothing above minimum wage so already you are in an above average position.

So, no, it does not make you able to seemingly turn your nose up at minimum wage work. Possession of an SIA licence is simply not enough to warrant more.

As others have said. If you want more satisfaction in a job you enjoy, you will need to think about retraining or doing something to move up the career ladder. If it is just purely about the money, then you need to consider what you can to do progress in your own field, over and above, what you are doing now.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I don't mean this offensively but you need to lower you expectations.

Im sure you were a good plasterer to a high standard but you seeming choose to no longer pursue that role.

You are now working in security and lots and lots of other people also have SIA licences. Many of those earn little or nothing above minimum wage so already you are in an above average position.

So, no, it does not make you able to seemingly turn your nose up at minimum wage work. Possession of an SIA licence is simply not enough to warrant more.

As others have said. If you want more satisfaction in a job you enjoy, you will need to think about retraining or doing something to move up the career ladder. If it is just purely about the money, then you need to consider what you can to do progress in your own field, over and above, what you are doing now.

Thanks for your imput.

I suppose it depends on the quality of doormen that are employed. No doubt the average common muscle head, with a brain of similar size to his steriod-curtailed testicles, is happy to work for peanuts. But our friend Star does seem more articulate than this.