Would you get buried in a cardboard coffin?

A friend of mine laid his young Daughter to rest in a wicker basket at the bottom of his garden. Just beautiful, even though it was a funeral.

Angel1,

There was an open day a few years ago at Grenoside Crematorium. They took you into the part where the bodies are cremated. There was 2 furnaces and you could feel the heat coming from them even though they were not used that day. They are only allowed to do 8 cremations a day also they can keep a body up to 3 days before it is cremated

When they start the furnace gas is released first, so if you are not dead you will probably be gassed. Better than being burned alive just in case there is a bit of a mix up.

The person who is being cremated has his name on the furnace door so they do not get you mixed up when your bones or removed to go in the crusher. The handles are removed before the coffin goes in the furnace. Also pace makers and any metals that are used for hip or knee replacements are taken out of the furnace and sold. We were told the money raised goes to charities. On average it takes about one and a half hours to cremate someone. We were told that they had a man who weighed 30 stone and it took 4 hours to cremate him. I suspect that his coffin did not go in the furnace. They told us that they did struggle with his cremation. I know my late mum enjoyed the talk. She came out quite happy knowing what was going to happen to her body.

So if you're not dead they will gas you just to make sure??? :help: I think someone's pulling your leg! :hihi:

Don't know where you have heard of a ' Bone Crusher ' being used ?

Many many years ago, when I was employed as an apprentice electrician and assisting an electrician in the installation of some equipment in City Road Crematorium, we saw the coffins coming through on the conveyor belt from the service, they went straight in the furnace and the gas taps turned on and ignited. The workmen operating the furnaces

( two furnaces on the go at the same time ) would look through a small circular window that was built into the furnace door to see how far incineration had gone - when only the skeleton

was left, he would push a long poker through an hole in the furnace door to break the bones

Unless a new method has been employed, I would imagine the old system is still being used.

But this is how it is done these days.

The body goes into the furnace but the bones don't burn.

Once the body has been reduced to the bones by the furnace, the bones go into the crusher to make the ashes of the deceased.

This way the bereaved can be sure they are getting all of the ashes from their loved one and not mixed up with anyone elses.

This is why I want to go in a wicker basket or cardboard box and be buried with a tree planted over me. Less messy and more environmentally friendly.

Edited by Daven

But this is how it is done.

The body goes into the furnace but the bones don't burn.

Once the body has been reduced to the bones by the furnace, the bones go into the crusher to make the ashes of the deceased.

This way the bereaved can be sure they are getting all of the ashes from their loved one and not mixed up with anyone elses.

All this burial/cremation/funeral/deceased talk is very unhealthy...

... can someone start a few more light-hearted threads please? :(

So if you're not dead they will gas you just to make sure??? :help: I think someone's pulling your leg! :hihi:

I do not think he was. The man was trying to explain how the furnace worked and the temperature it had to reach. He did say that gas is released before the furnace is lit, but in all fairness someone said, perhaps to make light of the situation, about getting gassed if you are not dead.

We also went into the chapel and he explained the reason for the design of the building. He talked about different services and some strange requests they have been asked to do at someone's funeral.

These crematoriums do have open days from time to time for people to go round them. Also there was a lot of undertakers in the car park at grenoside crem trying to sell funeral plans. I suspect that is why they had the open day.

Not really, suppose you wouldn't know what you're buried in once you're gone!

Regarding the buried alive issue, I wonder how it can be so. The dead people I have seen have been as stiff (rigor mortis) as a lump of wood and very cold to the touch. How such a body could come back to life is not possible.

Angel1

Burials and cremations are quite expensive these days and the mark-up price for coffins is horrendous. I just wondered if people object to being buried in a cardboard coffin?

I'd happily be buried naked . I have made arrangements with my daughter for a D.I.Y. funeral , although I have allowed her to cover me up with a sheet , so I'll spend my long period of death buried in her garden without an expensive coffin. :|

I'd happily be buried naked . I have made arrangements with my daughter for a D.I.Y. funeral , although I have allowed her to cover me up with a sheet , so I'll spend my long period of death buried in her garden without an expensive coffin. :|

Bit of a bugger if she ever wants to move :hihi:

And not so nice for the folk who buy the property :gag: