Would you get buried in a cardboard coffin?

Yes, why not?

I think the funeral is highly over rated. Why not a simple body disposal service instead of all this wooden box business and expensive hearse car?

If you really want to save on funeral costs, how about a sailor's funeral at sea? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

We don't have anything to learn from Muslim culture.

Except baking :hihi:

I told my grandkids I wanted to be laid in my canoe, splashed with petrol, set alight and sent down the river to the ocean, just like a viking. I was told it would be a waste of a good canoe.:(

---------- Post added 10-10-2015 at 21:42 ----------

I told my grandchildren i wanted to be laid out in my old canoe, set alight with petrol, and sent down to the ocean like a Viking, only make sure I'm dead first. I was told by Lauren, my youngest, that it would be a waste of a good canoe. She's out of the will!! At 7 yo she doesn't care.:)Looks like I repeated myself, that's life.

Edited by buck

I'm with what what spike milligan said once. Get buried in a fridge to confound a future archaeologist. Mind you he had a conventional burial but with the words I told you I was ill on the gravestone.

There are places where you can weave your own willow coffin. I don't know if they store it for you until you need it.

I was on holiday in India when a procession came along the beach with what looked like granny on a stretcher and covered in flowers.

They placed her on a log pile at the far end of the beach and lit it ( I am assuming she was dead ).

I thought that was quite nice til I started eating my lunch and bits of ash from the pyre started floating my way!

I was on holiday in India when a procession came along the beach with what looked like granny on a stretcher and covered in flowers.

They placed her on a log pile at the far end of the beach and lit it ( I am assuming she was dead ).

I thought that was quite nice til I started eating my lunch and bits of ash from the pyre started floating my way!

Puts a new slant on ' having an Indian meal ' :hihi:

I'd like to leave my body to science! No problems

I'd like to leave my body to science! No problems ����

That's my plan too. :thumbsup:

I would. What's the point of the time and expense going into a fancy coffin that's going in the ground or gets burnt (do they cremate the coffin?)

There was an open day a few years ago at Grenoside Crematorium. They took you into the part where the bodies are cremated. There was 2 furnaces and you could feel the heat coming from them even though they were not used that day. They are only allowed to do 8 cremations a day also they can keep a body up to 3 days before it is cremated

When they start the furnace gas is released first, so if you are not dead you will probably be gassed. Better than being burned alive just in case there is a bit of a mix up.

The person who is being cremated has his name on the furnace door so they do not get you mixed up when your bones or removed to go in the crusher. The handles are removed before the coffin goes in the furnace. Also pace makers and any metals that are used for hip or knee replacements are taken out of the furnace and sold. We were told the money raised goes to charities. On average it takes about one and a half hours to cremate someone. We were told that they had a man who weighed 30 stone and it took 4 hours to cremate him. I suspect that his coffin did not go in the furnace. They told us that they did struggle with his cremation. I know my late mum enjoyed the talk. She came out quite happy knowing what was going to happen to her body.

Except baking :hihi:

That's our culture.

Edited by RonJeremy