Would you get buried in a cardboard coffin?

I was thinking the same, the vet can dispose of a dead dog so why not offer the same service for humans, put as much as possible to good use and dispose of the rest in the most environmentally friendly way possible.

Muslim funerals discard of the body in this way. The body is dressed in cloth and placed directly in the ground. Don't know about embalming though.

I was too, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find an unscrupulous undertaker will dump the body out and flog the coffin to the next person that comes along.

From what I remember the coffin is usually on a converyer type deal, with a set of small curtains covering the door (presumably to the oven)

You do the service and stuff, and the curtains open and the coffin slides through a hole out of view.

No-one sticks around to see them light up the oven.

I went to a funeral recently at the crematorium. Not beeb to one before so didnt know what to expect. The coffin was placed on the 'stage' for the service and was still there when we all filed out.

I have heard of coffins being rented for the ceremony, i think it was in another country though.

I dont want a traditional wooden coffin, something cheap and biodegradable if i was to be buried.

Burials and cremations are quite expensive these days and the mark-up price for coffins is horrendous. I just wondered if people object to being buried in a cardboard coffin?

Just as long as they made sure all the flaps were scotch taped down

I went to a funeral recently at the crematorium. Not beeb to one before so didnt know what to expect. The coffin was placed on the 'stage' for the service and was still there when we all filed out.

I have heard of coffins being rented for the ceremony, i think it was in another country though.

I dont want a traditional wooden coffin, something cheap and biodegradable if i was to be buried.

A visit to a pig farmer could be the way to go. Nom nom.

I like the idea. If Tesco did them with the 'value' logo on then even better... good to show you haven't lost your sense of humour just because you're dead.

... good to show you haven't lost your sense of humour just because you're dead.

You have a sense of humour? You kept that quiet.

---------- Post added 07-10-2015 at 18:46 ----------

I was under the impression you and coffin went into the furnace?

I was enquiring about a possible funeral for a relative a few months ago and yes the coffin does get cremated too. The range of coffins has a few woods as well as cardboard. I balked at the latter feeling it would show disrespect for the dead. It reminded me of homeless people sleeping in cardboard boxes. They are cheaper though.

Yea something easy, like incinerating the bodies?????

it's actually not that easy at all. It takes about two hours, for a human body to be incinerated even in a state-of-the-art crematoria. Notice how murderers who want to dispose of bodies to minimise their chances of getting detected, almost never attempt it.

it's actually not that easy at all. It takes about two hours, for a human body to be incinerated even in a state-of-the-art crematoria. Notice how murderers who want to dispose of bodies to minimise their chances of getting detected, almost never attempt it.

And even after that length of time the remains have to be put through a bone crusher to produce the dust we have all heard about.

In answer to the OP - yes, I would be happy to be buried in a cardboard coffin - or a bin bag to be honest - I won't be here to worry or care.

Bury me in a hole and plant a tree on top, that would be great for me.

That's pretty much what I want. A woodland burial - might as well fertilise the soil rather than pollute the air !

And even after that length of time the remains have to be put through a bone crusher to produce the dust we have all heard about.

In answer to the OP - yes, I would be happy to be buried in a cardboard coffin - or a bin bag to be honest - I won't be here to worry or care.

Are you sure you wouldn't mind paying 5p for the bag Daven?:P