What is your favourite brand of Sausage?

i love sausages. there are so many sausages on sale and a lot of them are dissapointing. i have discovered somewhere that does excellent sausages. ellis's butchers at castle market. the butcher told me that they make their own on the premises fresh everyday and they are reasonably priced. so far i have had pork and tomato, pork-tomato and basil (a wonderful combo) and cumberland which had a lovely warm peppery taste to them. they do other combinations too which i will no doubt get around to trying soon. i just wish they were better for my waistline.

Are there anywhere else in the city centre where I can try new flavours ?

I was mad on sausages last year. Most of them were from Waitrose. Are there any butchers in the city centre which is just as nice ?

Any ideas are welcomed. :)

The best sausages I've had are from the stand in Sheffield market. Waterall Brothers, they are sooo nice. Really meaty.

If you've not tried them then your missing out.

Are there anywhere else in the city centre where I can try new flavours ?

I was mad on sausages last year. Most of them were from Waitrose. Are there any butchers in the city centre which is just as nice ?

Any ideas are welcomed. :)

Sausages are easy to make. You can buy mixes of rusk, herbs and spices to make your own. We mince pork shoulder with belly pork, mix with the chosen rusk and spices then stuff into sausage skins using our Kenwood Chef. You can buy real or artificial sausage skins in different diameters.

I have to say there aren't too many things I am snobby about in life....but sausages are one of them! Border view farm shop do excellent sausage, well excellent meat in general. Aldis finest herb sausage are great too. I am obsessed with tomato sausage though!

Sausages are easy to make. You can buy mixes of rusk, herbs and spices to make your own. We mince pork shoulder with belly pork, mix with the chosen rusk and spices then stuff into sausage skins using our Kenwood Chef. You can buy real or artificial sausage skins in different diameters.

Really ? I have to say, it has never occurred to me to make my own. Rusk is something which I have missed out on before when I tried some of these sausages from Waitrose. It just reminded me of the ones I used to have when I was younger. Thank you so much for that idea. :)

Really ? I have to say, it has never occurred to me to make my own. Rusk is something which I have missed out on before when I tried some of these sausages from Waitrose. It just reminded me of the ones I used to have when I was younger. Thank you so much for that idea. :)

I'm not sure what you mean with your comment about rusk. As far as I am aware all sausages have some rusk in. We tried lowering the rusk content and the sausage was very hard. The rusk absorbs some of the moisture from the ground meat. When you make them you leave them in the fridge to swell (rusk to absorb moisture) before freezing them.

I miss my sausages. I had a blood pressure issue a few months ago so I've cut back on some stuff and sausages have been one of those things. Chris Beech does amazing sausages. He had haggis and whisky sausages in yesterday.

I'm not sure what you mean with your comment about rusk. As far as I am aware all sausages have some rusk in. We tried lowering the rusk content and the sausage was very hard. The rusk absorbs some of the moisture from the ground meat. When you make them you leave them in the fridge to swell (rusk to absorb moisture) before freezing them.

I didn't know what rusks were before. I did try some sausages that I thought did not have rusks in them. They were from places like Waitrose. Then I did try to have some sausages in Blackpool once and I thought that they were good, and it reminded me of those I used to have in school dinners ! When I did some research on them. I "think" they use more rusks than they do on meat. That is why they tasted so different. I do like the really juicy sausages but I can't figure out whether this is because of the fatty bits they use in the mince or not. But I do notice that when you add extra things like veg or fruits, it tastes beautiful. :hihi:

Rusk mixture for sausages isn't exactly the same as baby rusks. Most sausages are made with 'rubbish' cuts of meat such as bits off the head etc. Some butchers will make their own sausage with less rubbish in. You do need some fat in the sausages, we made that mistake. We don't grind anything other than pork shoulder and belly pork. You can put small amounts of fruit or veg in sausages but not much.

If you want a juicy sausage but you don't want to use fatty bits, what other ingredients can you add instead ?

I think the ones I had in Blackpool must have had a lot of these special sausage rusks in them, cos I cannot really taste the meat. That is why I find it really fascinating. It does affect the taste a lot. I have tried these leaner sausages before, and it doesn't taste all that nice to be honest.

I have tried apple ones. Then these fancy tomato ones. They do taste good.

No idea. We found we had to put a small amount of fat in. Perhaps someone else might have the answer.