Stihl TS400 saw Help!!

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help/answer a couple of questions about my Stihl saw that seems to have packed up?

The saw started to get harder and harder to start to the point it just wouldn't start so I changed the spark plug and filters and it still won't start?

2nd question is if you flood it by pulling it too much how long does it take to unflood if you understand ?

Ive phoned the guy I use that fixes them but hes too busy if anyone knows any other possibility of what it could be I can try and sort it thanks or recommend someone :) Jack

Has the fuel/2 stroke mixture been left in the saw tank for a while because if so this can cause problems in terms of machine operating properly (has done for me previously anyway). Maybe try draining out any old fuel, leave it a while and put a fresh mixture in.

no fresh fuel this morning I normally use what is in the tank when I use it anyway

I use it regularly

Pull your plug out and put your thumb on the hole, pull it over with the ignition off so you wont get a belt from the plug! Is there compression there is the first thing, if it sucks your finger on the down stroke and pushes it off on the upstroke then your compression may be ok.

Next put the ignition on and with a heavy rubber glove or insulated pliers hold the plug (with the lead attached) to the metal top of the piston as you pull it over, do it somewhere dark and see if the plug is producing a spark.

If it isnt then it may need a clean and try again, if it still doesnt then try it with a six inch nail instead of the plug (again gloves or insulated pliers) and see if theres a spark, if there isnt then your ignition module may be kaput!

On the ts400 there arent any points as its an electronic magneto system.

With no spark it may be the lead that goes to the switch thats come off and is permanently earthed so check that.

If you are managing to flood it then youre getting fuel to the barrel,if you switch the fuel off and pull it over a couple of times it will help the flooded fuel to evaporate but it usually takes around ten mins.

Then theres the carb but thats too hard to tell you about on here.

Hope that maybe helps you.

I had the same kind of trouble with my Stihl chainsaw (even though it's a different model to yours). Getting hard to start, not ticking over, not restarting when warm etc. I did all the usual checks as suggested in this thread. I removed the rear cover just to clean & check things, the fuel pipe is tucked away above the carbie I think, anyway the vibration of the saw had worn a small hole in the pipe and air was being drawn in and upsetting the mixture. I had to take the carbie off to get the pipe off but once it was replaced the saw performed like new. Good luck with it.

I always take mine to Broadfield Mowers if it needs anything doing at it.

They're pretty good.

Edited by Dick

I know it's an oldish thread now, however i can highly recommend Dibco 240 Infirmary Rd, Sheffield S6 3DL,

They have just serviced my Ryobi petrol strimmer, which Broadfield wanted to charge an extortionate amount to do, and Gunsons would not even entertain the Brand.

Now running like new for just a few quid, Brilliant