Sheffield local elections - May 2016

Don't you think it's a bit condescending and patronising to assume that labour voters have stumbled their way down the street, blank minded, falling onto the voting booth and mindlessly scrawling an X on the labour candidate due to an inability to consider any other option?

In plain speak it's called being a bad loser.

West ecclesfield what a farce, one seat decided by pulling names out of a hat! Ffs!

How do you suggest they split a tie? Or are you just bitter because UKIP lost out?

We had zero literature delivered to us about any of the council candidates or the PCC candidates. The web delivers very little on these people's causes, ambitions, accolades and such. Impossible to vote sensibly with such a dearth of information and it encourages people to ignorantly vote along preconceptions of a party's politics which is in no way aligned with who would be best for this city.

Appallingly run campaigns. Lazy.

Don't you think it's a bit condescending and patronising to assume that labour voters have stumbled their way down the street, blank minded, falling onto the voting booth and mindlessly scrawling an X on the labour candidate due to an inability to consider any other option?

But this is what's happened in Sheffield

Since the dawn of time! :hihi:

---------- Post added 07-05-2016 at 09:50 ----------

Yup, me too. The reason we now have three lib dems in Greenhill again is because they have been extremely active in helping the community here, standing up for residents who are fighting the tree felling, opposing the proposed closure of our library and then backing volunteers who now run it, protesting against changes to buses, the list goes on...

The Labour representatives who lost their seats only have themselves to blame for not being visible and active in the community, but instead being dismissive of residents' concerns and happily towing the town hall line.

Glad to hear this! :thumbsup:

We had zero literature delivered to us about any of the council candidates or the PCC candidates. The web delivers very little on these people's causes, ambitions, accolades and such. Impossible to vote sensibly with such a dearth of information and it encourages people to ignorantly vote along preconceptions of a party's politics which is in no way aligned with who would be best for this city.

As someone who runs campaigns I'd be interested to know where you live as I may be able to explain. (If you'd prefer PM me a rough idea of where you live)

Here in Stannington ward we have several hundred rural addresses many of which we don't access. Our leaflets are produced using money we in the ward raise and they are delivered by volunteers. I go out on my cycle to deliver to many houses alongside the Rivelin Valley but there are more which we don't reach.

I had an email from someone in Worrall asking me why he never received anything from any of the parties and he was surprised to find out that we are volunteers. That, plus the fact that his letter box is over half a mile from the nearest road!

A friend of mine lives above a shop on Chesterfield Road and his letter box is accessed through the shop's back yard, needless to say he also complained about not receiving literature from anyone.

How do you suggest they split a tie? Or are you just bitter because UKIP lost out?

Re run election for that seat, you know the democratic way.

Would you have preferred a bare knuckle fight to decide?

they should have done rock paper scissors lizard spock

---------- Post added 07-05-2016 at 12:51 ----------

why?

they might get another tie

I had a leaflet or letter about every other day and two candidates came in person to my door.

What's the odds?

fairly good :)

anyway, who would the second ballot include?

just the two who tied, or everybody who failed to win or everybody?

The rules are clear so that couldn't have happened

Its not the first time its happened. In Bury in 2011 straws were drawn in a tied seat which actually decided overall control of the council.

fairly good :)

anyway, who would the second ballot include?

just the two who tied, or everybody who failed to win or everybody?

1964 last time it happened in Sheffield, so no, odds not good on a repeat tie. Re run