Sheffield local elections - May 2016

ive just seen labours election campaign on our street. Clive betts running up and down the road posting cards telling people who to vote for .No interaction with locals at all , no answering questions, no explaining why we should vote labour , not letting us know what labour is doing for Sheffield . well ,along with losing a few calories hes probably lost a few votes around here

Did you ask him any questions?

no and the reason being I wouldn't believe a word that came out of his mouth , but a few elderly neighbours tried to speak to him and he just mentioned his monthly 1 hour session at crystal peaks library and off he went

no and the reason being I wouldn't believe a word that came out of his mouth , but a few elderly neighbours tried to speak to him and he just mentioned his monthly 1 hour session at crystal peaks library and off he went

There you are then, there was interaction with the electorate you just chose not to take part. :rolleyes:

There you are then, there was interaction with the electorate you just chose not to take part. :rolleyes:

if you can really call that interaction then you speak for yourself but I would say six, ten minute appointments once a month is pathetic . by the way congratulations on labour winning Sheffield tomorrow

Edited by hackey lad

I'd just like to point out post 165 of this thread, posted by moderator Mort:

So you are all aware - we do not allow electioneering on this forum. To that end we expect that posters will discuss their opinions and the issues not just put

" vote xxx " or for that matter " don't vote xxx"

I'd also like to point out the BBCs advice on how they and other media are disallowed to report on election day, and that some of this may also possibly be construed for this website also. By all means though, remind people to go to the polling station and cast their vote, but the time has passed for you to try and influence people's opinion now and could cause issues to the legal team of this website. Please be mindful of your posts in light of this.

I'd also like to point out the BBCs advice on how they and other media are disallowed to report on election day, and that some of this may also possibly be construed for this website also. By all means though, remind people to go to the polling station and cast their vote, but the time has passed for you to try and influence people's opinion now and could cause issues to the legal team of this website. Please be mindful of your posts in light of this.

You're not a Moderator and your comments are incorrect. The limitation on election coverage is for the broadcast media. Private forms are not subject to this rule.

I wouldn't fret. Even Lord Sugar is at it these days.

http://btv24.co.uk/?p=22834

You're not a Moderator and your comments are incorrect. The limitation on election coverage is for the broadcast media. Private forms are not subject to this rule.

I don't claim to be a moderator, but in the event that a moderator has already expressed views on the subject advising the 'house rules' then I, as can anyone can remind people of them by pointing out what has already been said. These forums are meant for discussion, not political advertising/electioneering. I had a vague recollection that SF was owned by a media organisation, but looking at TnCs it now appears a little more ambiguous.

Also, I'd suggest that it's you that's incorrect on this as it's not just a rule for broadcasters - print media is also covered under the rules, and as such there have been rulings previously that companies that have a web presence can be held responsible for comments made by their audience - this is why a lot of places cut down a lot of the 'comments' sections to certain news stories a few years ago, and now have to pay more for more eyes to moderate content.

I don't claim to be a moderator, but in the event that a moderator has already expressed views on the subject advising the 'house rules' then I, as can anyone can remind people of them by pointing out what has already been said. These forums are meant for discussion, not political advertising/electioneering. I had a vague recollection that SF was owned by a media organisation, but looking at TnCs it now appears a little more ambiguous.

Also, I'd suggest that it's you that's incorrect on this as it's not just a rule for broadcasters - print media is also covered under the rules, and as such there have been rulings previously that companies that have a web presence can be held responsible for comments made by their audience - this is why a lot of places cut down a lot of the 'comments' sections to certain news stories a few years ago, and now have to pay more for more eyes to moderate content.

You're telling people what to do and you have no rights to do so, That is the privy of the moderation team.

In regards to the limitations, you are correct and I thought I had written printed and broadcast media, so I apologise for my omission, but this does not change the fact a private forum is not subject to the rules.

You're telling people what to do and you have no rights to do so, That is the privy of the moderation team.

You do understand that any society operates by a common understanding and abidance of the rules? So you're saying that average Joe public can't advise people and uphold the law because they aren't the police? This forum is still a society, it has it's own mini eco-system, it just so happens to be an online society that somewhat mirrors the local population. The fact that i chose to exercise my right in reminding people what a rule is supposed to be and that people were either flouting it or may tread lines is my own choice - as it is your own choice to take offence in your misconception that I'm 'telling' people what to do. By your own comments in that regard, I have no power to do that as indeed it is the job of admins and moderators - I can however advise people to look out for things that may have been missed and make their own judgement calls, which is exactly what I did do.

You do understand that any society operates by a common understanding and abidance of the rules? So you're saying that average Joe public can't advise people and uphold the law because they aren't the police? This forum is still a society, it has it's own mini eco-system, it just so happens to be an online society that somewhat mirrors the local population. The fact that i chose to exercise my right in reminding people what a rule is supposed to be and that people were either flouting it or may tread lines is my own choice - as it is your own choice to take offence in your misconception that I'm 'telling' people what to do. By your own comments in that regard, I have no power to do that as indeed it is the job of admins and moderators - I can however advise people to look out for things that may have been missed and make their own judgement calls, which is exactly what I did do.

Absolutely correct. I have tried something similar in another thread in order to keep it open. I've also made a suggestion for a new mod warning notification to run through threads like this. There is nothing wrong with a friendly reminder and you don't have to be officially sanctioned to do it.