Sheffield local elections - May 2016

Hi, new member here! Joined with a view to understanding Sheffield people's voting thoughts and concerns.

In May next year every Sheffield council seat is up for grabs which means there will be three seats to contest for in every ward. We get three votes and it will be a first past the post system.

My concern with this (Not being a particular fan of what the Labour party have done for Sheffield) is that Sheffield is a relative strong hold for Labour and they will most likely be the only party that has three candidates in every seat - possibly the liberal democrats too. Will the labour voters tick all three boxes for Labour? Will the ones that have sympathy for UKIP or the Greens use a vote for them? The smaller parties in Sheffield - Tory, UKIP, Green ect won't be able to match the amount of candidates Labour put up.

My question is what will supporters of the smaller parties do with the other two votes they can cast? Will they perhaps just use one vote? Would a UKIP voter tick the green party rather than waste their other votes?

Thoughts anyone? Hope this makes sense!

Chances are we'll get Labour again, to be fair they've not done a terrible job.

Streets Ahead is happening, stuff is happening on the long stalled city centre regeneration (well they've been on some nice holidays)

To be fair the centre of town is looking much better than it did a few years ago.

Hi, new member here! Joined with a view to understanding Sheffield people's voting thoughts and concerns.

In May next year every Sheffield council seat is up for grabs which means there will be three seats to contest for in every ward. We get three votes and it will be a first past the post system.

My concern with this (Not being a particular fan of what the Labour party have done for Sheffield) is that Sheffield is a relative strong hold for Labour and they will most likely be the only party that has three candidates in every seat - possibly the liberal democrats too. Will the labour voters tick all three boxes for Labour? Will the ones that have sympathy for UKIP or the Greens use a vote for them? The smaller parties in Sheffield - Tory, UKIP, Green ect won't be able to match the amount of candidates Labour put up.

My question is what will supporters of the smaller parties do with the other two votes they can cast? Will they perhaps just use one vote? Would a UKIP voter tick the green party rather than waste their other votes?

Thoughts anyone? Hope this makes sense!

Who I vote for is between me and the ballot box (and anyone else who gets access to the "secret" ballot)

Are you one of the political party drones that troll these, and other, forums?

In Sheffield , like the rest of south yorkshire , you can pin a red rosette on a three legged donkey and the same people would still vote for it.

Its a sad reflection on this area of the country that it hasnt moved with the times ,and explains perfectly why the north (mainly labour ) / south (mainly Tory ) divide is so big.

In Sheffield , like the rest of south yorkshire , you can pin a red rosette on a three legged donkey and the same people would still vote for it.

Its a sad reflection on this area of the country that it hasnt moved with the times ,and explains perfectly why the north (mainly labour ) / south (mainly Tory ) divide is so big.

Probably most people consider the three legged donkey to be a better proposition than the alternative one legged donkeys.

Anyway if you think we are so backward what is stopping you from moving down south?

Who I vote for is between me and the ballot box (and anyone else who gets access to the "secret" ballot)

Are you one of the political party drones that troll these, and other, forums?

Haha no I'm certainly not. I'm an undecided voter who thinks sheffield has a chance to change things next year due to all the seats being in contention. I was interested in peoples views on whether they think it will be same old same old or whether things may chance. That's all. You don't have to reply if you don't want to join in the conversation. Not much point in your post really. :-)

Really think it's time for change ukip would be a breath of fresh air and would work hard for this city.

Really think it's time for change ukip would be a breath of fresh air and would work hard for this city.

How do you know?

How do you know?

Because Our Nige' is a Man of the People who comes from a humble background as the son of millionaire stockbroker, that's why :thumbsup:

The biggest problem with Sheffield is the fact that it is a Labour stronghold, and they rarely have to worry about losing overall power. This means they are never seriously challenged and it has made them set in their ways and complacent.

I'd like to see them having to deal with a really major shakeup. Get some new young blood in, and someone who can seriously challenge their way of doing things. It's about time Sheffield Labour Council moved with the times, into the modern world, and also tried listening.

This is going to be fundamental with the new, all powerful Sheffield Mayor. It's essential we get candidates of the necessary calibre, and frankly, I can't see any of the current (or past) councillors able to do it.

Chances are we'll get Labour again, to be fair they've not done a terrible job.

Streets Ahead is happening, stuff is happening on the long stalled city centre regeneration (well they've been on some nice holidays)

To be fair the centre of town is looking much better than it did a few years ago.

not done a terrible job hmmm i beg to differ julie bore and the cronies ruin sheffield

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 23:24 ----------

exactly youll vote who your dad votes because you dont get a choice lol

I can't, at the moment, see a great deal of change. I would anticipate that the greens will lose their seats to Labour, outside the media focus of a general election and with Corbyn adopting anti-austerity politics.

The biggest question I suppose is whether those on the right of Labour will stick with them in some of the more middle class areas. Possibly seats in Walkley, Broomhill, Crookes, Ecclesfield, Nether Edge could be targeted, but I doubt many of them will change hands as things stand at the moment.