Schnoodle Puppy Wanted

We are thinking of buying a Schnoodle.

Are there any Schnoodle owners out there I could talk to?

Also, do you anyone know anyone who has Schnoodle puppies for sale or where I can buy one - other than the Pets4homes, Prelovedpets and Gumtree websites?

Mosby

What's a Schnoodle and why do you want one? If it is a cross between a Schnauzer and a Poodle, each of those breeds is lovely so why not look for a pure bred dog of one breed or the other? I don't want to lecture but please understand that there are many good reasons why you should consider a pedigree dog from a good, reputable breeder rather than a first cross or a so called 'designer dog'. There are no benefits to it at all.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not new to the dog world and I know where you are coming from. This time around I must have a small dog that doesn't moult. A pure bred Poodle isn't an option, do you have any suggestions?

You have made a good point about the coat care. What you have in this mix is two dogs with completely different coat types, the Poodle having a single, woolly one and the Schnauzer double, wire haired. With these cross breed puppies you really don't know what the coat will turn out like and groomers can find it tricky knowing what to do with them. I am hoping that Hardwick Hounds will come into the thread because I am sure that she will be able to give you more information about this.

With a pure bred dog you know exactly what you are getting and if you can find an experienced breeder who is knowledgeable about their breed then all the health checks will have been done. Also, they will offer advice and back up.

With regards to cost, my understanding is that there are cross bred dogs that are as expensive, if not more than a pure bred one so you really need to do your homework. The Kennel Club is a good place to start, as is the specific breed clubs.

You ask about a non moulting breed. Both the Poodle and the Schnauzer would be good choices. Any smooth coated breed such as the Pug, Labrador will moult but double, harsh/wire coated tend not to, as does the Poodle. However, these breeds will require some coat care - regular brushing and combing plus visits to the groomer.

Here are some other non moulting, small breeds from the terrier group: Border Terrier, Cairn Terrier, Lakeland Terrier, Norfolk/Norwich Terrier, West Highland White Terrier. If you check on the Kennel Club website you will see that most breeds have associated rescue organisations and if you are minded to offer a home to such a dog, it would be worth contacting them.

Read up and do a lot of research first. Above all, take your time - with a bit of luck you will have a healthy dog for many fulfilling years. Save up for a bit longer to get the dog of your choice. In this way you and the dog will have a happy relationship.

There are some articles on first cross designer dogs here, here and here.

Edited by ccit

Can i ask why a pure bred Poodle isn't an option.

ccit thanks again - the Schnoodle suits me in terms of size, coat and the combination of the Schnauzer and Poodle traits. As you point out there is no guarantees as this is a cross-breed. Furthermore, people are making a 'quick buck' by breeding mongrels, which at least is annoying.

Thanks for the information.

Have you considered a Bedlington terrier? They have a non moulting curly coat that is good for people with allergies. They are very good natured dogs that are generally quite placid but can be quite ferocious if they are pushed. I'm quite a fan of the breed.

Double coated wire haired dogs are also said to be good for allergy sufferers but to maintain this you must have the coat hand stripped ideally and the soft undercoat can be known to shed, especially on border terriers.

I haven't groomed a schnoodle before but we have many cockerpoos and labradoodles and in my experience, they're coats are either similar too a poodles (which is the desired result) or they are quite dull and soft and knit up into matts very easily and owners find them too difficult to manage and end up having them kept very short all the time. Temperament wise, I find labradoodles very energetic dogs that find it difficult to settle. I have to say though that I generally find cockerpoos to be very gentle friendly dogs that are much like cockers in their nature - but plenty of energy so still need plenty of walks.

I love poodles and love cockers so as much as I am fond of cockerpoos, my personal preference would be to have a pure breed of one or the other. Cross breeds are at risk of genetic health problems from both breeds so its as much pot luck in terms of health imo.

You could also consider a bichon frise.

---------- Post added 07-10-2015 at 16:26 ----------

Ooh another breed great for allergy sufferers is a coton de tulear. It is non shedding and has low dander too so excellent for allergies. The coat does require a lot of maintenance though. I have one as a client and is a fabulous little dog.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coton_De_Tulear

It sounds as if you are quite keen on this particular cross breed. There are plenty of puppies for sale on the Internet and some of them are as, or more expensive than a pedigree dog - I have just seen some for £950! A full pedigree Poodle or Schnauzer with all health checks done could cost less than that. If you are determined to have one, please read up as much as you can about buying a puppy and welfare issues. Before you part with any money, be sure to to see it with it's mother and check the bitch to make sure she is the parent.

Ask if the sire and dam have had all the relevant health checks before being bred with (you will have to check those up for each of the breeds). Also that they have been wormed and examine by the vet. Don't take a puppy until it is at least 8 weeks old.

Remember that there is no paper trail with these cross breeds so you have no idea how many litters the bitch will have had or indeed how young she was when she was first bred from. The Kennel Club impose a limit on pedigree litter registrations but of course this doesn't exist with cross breeds.

People who breed these types of dogs are often doing it for the money, not to further the health and welfare of their breed because they are not specifically a breed. There is also a lot of puppy farming going on with cross breeds, fuelled by the fact that there is no KC registration. Please make sure you don't contribute to the misery of these poor animals by buying a pup from such a place. Sometimes they are removed to people's homes to make it seem as if they have been bred there so you really have to do your homework and be prepared to ask a lot of searching questions.

Edited by ccit

Thanks that's really good advice

I've been thinking about a dog for ages - I was introduced to a Schnoodle last week and she stole my heart. I realise there are no guarantees and as you point out it's not a straight forward purchase (and expensive)

It's understandable that you liked the pup that you saw and in these circumstances it is human nature to want one too. Sometimes it's best to stand back for a while because the desire might well fade in time.

With the Labradoodles, because they are cross breeds the amount of moulting is variable and maybe that applies to this crossbreed too. If that is important to you then I would advise you to choose a specific, full pedigree breed because you then know what you are getting. Consider too that even if this particular cross breed doesn't moult you will probably have to give the dog a good grooming several times a week to prevent matts from forming. This will, of course quite involve a lot of hair flying about in the atmosphere and landing on carpets and furnishings unless done outside.

Edited by ccit

I agree with ccit. We get a lot of cross breeds who's coats are not like what the owner expected in terms of texture, care and shedding. If the top of your list of requirements is allergies, definitely go for a pure breed. If you are in a position to cater for any sort of temperament and type of dog then I'd say go with what you have your heart set on but the reality is if you suffer with allergies and you get a cross breed, the chances are that you'll struggle to live with the dog and that will cause you and the dog anxiety or stress :(