Final information on bus changes 1st November 2015

It was actually proposed that the SL2 was to be withdrawn as few were using it to connect with trams into town, just into Hillsborough, and all it was doing was duplicating the 81. However there was a lot of protests at the withdrawl during the consultation so SL2 survives but reduced to run every 20 minutes, co-ordinated with the 81, and extended to Hillsborough at off peak times.

SL3 has also been something of a failure as a Supertramlink but did build up a loyal following as a local service to Crystal Peaks and Peaks College, hence becoming the 72 and running less frequent.

How many people travelling down from Stocksbridge on the SL1...and the people waiting at terminus....only go to Hillsborough??? Lots when I get on.....I suspect all the pensioners come down to get their pension and a bit of shopping....there's the school run to and from Leppings Lane too...not to mention the nearest pub from here is now The Park....so that means people travelling from terminus to Leppings Lane. We don't have the LUXURY of an "81" or whatever number it would be if it run.....we don't have a bus to Hillsborough.

The bus is the existing 56 from Wybourn to Sheffield Interchange extended to Herdings. In that sense it hasn't changed its number although of course people at the Herdings end will see a different route number as the 56 replaces the withdrawn 47.

The current 56 does not serve the market, the new version will take Wybourn people directly there.

The 56 route has been running for getting on for over sixty years and it never ever went near the Castle Market and the people from the Wybourn never complained about it dropping them off at the market door, the nearest it went was to Shukers garage on Broad St. I still don't understand why we've lost the "47" to be replaced by the "56", the Market hasn't anything to do with it.

How many people travelling down from Stocksbridge on the SL1...and the people waiting at terminus....only go to Hillsborough??? Lots when I get on.....I suspect all the pensioners come down to get their pension and a bit of shopping....there's the school run to and from Leppings Lane too...not to mention the nearest pub from here is now The Park....so that means people travelling from terminus to Leppings Lane. We don't have the LUXURY of an "81" or whatever number it would be if it run.....we don't have a bus to Hillsborough.

Stocksbridge has the 57 through to Hillsborough and Sheffield City Centre. Stocksbridge is quite a different beast to Stannington though and has always been problematic with bus provision. It is a long journey out of town and has two roads towards Hillsborough that have sections that are sparsely populated. There is also a lot of service duplication and traffic between Hillsborough and City.

If you look to the past there was the 57 and 58, one for each road, running on a low frequency with long journey times, buses that struggled and complaints about reliability.

With the current set up with Supertramlink you get a much more frequent 'core' service and the 57 filling in the gaps not covered by SL.

General point: many thanks to Andy C for the supply of information generally.

Without it/him, who'd know anything from SYPTE or the Bus Partnership Thingy?

Stocksbridge has the 57 through to Hillsborough and Sheffield City Centre. Stocksbridge is quite a different beast to Stannington though and has always been problematic with bus provision. It is a long journey out of town and has two roads towards Hillsborough that have sections that are sparsely populated. There is also a lot of service duplication and traffic between Hillsborough and City.

If you look to the past there was the 57 and 58, one for each road, running on a low frequency with long journey times, buses that struggled and complaints about reliability.

With the current set up with Supertramlink you get a much more frequent 'core' service and the 57 filling in the gaps not covered by SL.

Stannington has the 81/2 and the 61/2 PLUS the STL. Here at Middlewood there is ONLY the STL...nothing goes to town from here. Therefore broken tram = we're all stuffed.

We are getting quite close to the big bus change - it is this Sunday, 1st November.

Check your new bus routes by downloading a map here: http://www.sheffieldbuspartnership.co.uk/

Download your new timetable here: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/

If you need to travel on more than one operator, check out the ticket options here: http://www.sytravelmaster.com

if you are able to stick with one operator, check out their website:

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_yorkshire/

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/localdefault.aspx?Tag=Sheffield

http://www.tmtravel.co.uk/

Or for travel by Supertram, which isn't changing: http://www.supertram.com

And for travel by train, again which isn't changing: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

I dont know who has decided on these changes but where they got this logic from no idea

my route

97/98 are now the no 20

20/20A are now no's 97/98 why not just leave the numbers the same!!:loopy:

I dont know who has decided on these changes but where they got this logic from no idea

my route

97/98 are now the no 20

20/20A are now no's 97/98 why not just leave the numbers the same!!:loopy:

The 20a will no longer operate.

I do agree that the logic behind these changes is ridiculous:

Between Hillsborough and Ecclesfield, the 97/98 will be replaced by current service 20, and vice versa.

Probably just promoting this 'joined up service' thing they are obsessed with :confused:

The 20a will no longer operate.

I do agree that the logic behind these changes is ridiculous:

Between Hillsborough and Ecclesfield, the 97/98 will be replaced by current service 20, and vice versa.

Probably just promoting this 'joined up service' thing they are obsessed with :confused:

If you are in South Sheffield the numbers do stay the same - 97 to Totley, 98 to Totley Brook and 20 to Hemsworth, however the cross city route into North Sheffield has changed. It was originally proposed to give them completely new numbers but feedback in the consultation suggested numbers should be retained where possible.

Can anyone tell me what number bus from Waingate/Haymarket will now go via Pond St. many thanks.

put it this way sunday and particularly monday will be crazy in all the years of having bus routes its thw worst change by pen pushers in the offices instead of checking out the routes and opinions and i say that because the consultations were pushed through .

If you are in South Sheffield the numbers do stay the same - 97 to Totley, 98 to Totley Brook and 20 to Hemsworth, however the cross city route into North Sheffield has changed. It was originally proposed to give them completely new numbers but feedback in the consultation suggested numbers should be retained where possible.

Oddly they didn't follow that logic with the 7/8 which has an identical route in North Sheffield to the 53 they're replacing. I know they go different routes after the city centre and through South Sheffield but why not call them 53/53a?