White Hart, St Phillips Road

Would you go to a restaurant, no matter how nice, and pay for food you don't like? I'm guessing not. I'm simply the same with beer.

My point of view exactly. In principle I welcome any pub introducing real ale (especially from local independent breweries) but if that beer (no matter how local or independently brewed) isn't of any interest to me then I'm not likely to go out of my way to spend my leisure time or money there.

It's also quite amazing how many people welcome yet another run-of-the-mill pub serving the same old sh*te you get at dozens of other pubs in town. I'm sire you'll be happy if things continue the way of the AbInBev/SABMiller merger and every single pub becomes an identikit offering.

I'd love to say that it's a Yorkshire thing of 'change is not good' but Leeds just proves how diverse a city can be in it's offerings. I'm just thankful I live halfway there so don't have to put up with this dross every week.

---------- Post added 14-10-2015 at 08:56 ----------

I will reply to this using the same response I do to lager drinkers. Would you go to a restaurant, no matter how nice, and pay for food you don't like? I'm guessing not. I'm simply the same with beer. If you have a problem with that, it's your problem - not mine.

I think you need to get things into context somewhat. The White Hart isn't trying to be a trendy hipster joint serving crazy fruit flavoured barrel aged extra strong sipping stout for £10 a pint. It is a traditional local on an inner city housing estate that is making a bit of an effort to put on real ales from local breweries, it is a location where the demand is for pleasant session beers. In my view this is the sort of pub that should be supported for making an effort with beer, places like Shakespeare's and the Sheffield Tap are doing fine.

Guest makapaka
I think you need to get things into context somewhat. The White Hart isn't trying to be a trendy hipster joint serving crazy fruit flavoured barrel aged extra strong sipping stout for £10 a pint. It is a traditional local on an inner city housing estate that is making a bit of an effort to put on real ales from local breweries, it is a location where the demand is for pleasant session beers. In my view this is the sort of pub that should be supported for making an effort with beer, places like Shakespeare's and the Sheffield Tap are doing fine.

Exactly this.

And where did I say I expected it to be? I was simply thanking you for highlighting the 'pleasures' of said pub and saving me the trouble of actually going and wasting my time finding out, like I did with the Ship.

Oh and please tell me you didn;t associte the term 'pleasant session beer' with Stancill? I honestly don;t know ANYONE who likes this sh*t. People only drink it cos a) they have to or b) it's cheap.

I don't expect every bar in Sheffield to stock craft beer, but it would be nice if a few more stocked a quality cask range, such as RedWillow, Buxton, Marble etc. I remmeber when the Sheffield Tap did this. They seemed to stop when they realised their own brews couldn't compete. Though funnily enough their Leeds branch hasn't. Are Leeds folk more dicerning than Sheffield? Or is if because the majority of those opening a pub business in Sheffield are small minded traditionalists?

---------- Post added 14-10-2015 at 11:25 ----------

No you're entitled to your opinion - but it's the tone of your comments which are quite disparaging, and I would imagine are a bit of a downer for someone to read when trying to get their pub business going.

You may not like the way I say stuff, but you can read my avatar, right? Does it look like I give a ****? Like I said, if you don't like my comments that's your problem - not mine.

If someone wants pub business to be successful, maybe they should try something new, and not simply offer the cheapest beer they can get their hands on? Hoping that people will simply come like sheep because it's new? They might at first - but they won't keep doing so.

Edited by DnAuK

You may not like the way I say stuff, but you can read my avatar, right? Does it look like I give a ****? Like I said, if you don't like my comments that's your problem - not mine.

You're on your period, right? :D

Dnauk. You are a snob of the very worst kind. If you don't like something a pub offers, fair enough. There's no need to slag it (and various other endeavours) off so much on a public forum though. If you love hip Leeds pubs so much, and dislike inner city pubs who are just trying to get off the ground with locally available beer, then fair enough. Just go to those places. Otherwise, there's no need to say such negative things is there?