Rotherham shortlisted for best high street

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3256275/Are-Britain-s-best-high-streets-Bognor-Regis-Bradford-Rotherham-make-shortlist-face-public-vote.html

Can you believe this?

Rotherham is in the last 21 of a competition to find the best high street in England.

On Toby Foster's show they said it was in the top three!

But I suppose it's better than Sheffield.

the other cities shortlisted are

kabul and beirut so i cant see Rotherham winning

Fair play indeed - there is still loads of good quality shops surviving in Rotherham! Well done

Rotherham High Street has had a lot of Lottery money put towards the major redevelopment and it's now looking pretty good. I worked on the project and I manufactured a lot of the shop fronts on the left hand side as you walk down so I'm particularly chuffed it's on the short list.

It used to be dire. There were six units in a row all empty.

Most folk I know who live in Rotherham avoid the town center and stick to Meadowhall. And as much as I personally dislike Meadowhall I can totally understand why. I'm struggling to think of a worse town center than Rotherham's.

This so called competition was sponsored by Tesco who have built a big shiny new store in Rotherham so the whole things utter corporate nonsense.

the other cities shortlisted are

kabul and beirut so i cant see Rotherham winning

That might almost have been funny if the joke hadn't been structurally compromised right at the start.

Let's go back and see what went wrong.

"Britain's best High Streets".

Ideally you needed three less salubrious British high streets than Rotherham, with the third one being clearly the worst/funniest suggestion.

Why three?

The Psychology of Comedy: Rule of Threes

This so called competition was sponsored by Tesco who have built a big shiny new store in Rotherham so the whole things utter corporate nonsense.

I don't know how you can say this - yeah Tesco create "Tesco Towns" but go on any given Market Day and you'll be amazed how far the Street Market from Tesco Stretch's!! Credit to the Market's people I say ;)

I don't know how you can say this - yeah Tesco create "Tesco Towns" but go on any given Market Day and you'll be amazed how far the Street Market from Tesco Stretch's!! Credit to the Market's people I say ;)

Dare I say it, but I prefer Doncaster to Rotherham for markets, although I would still agree that the market is the best thing about Rotherham town centre.

Is it bad that I lived in Sheffield for nigh on 30 years before touring the country for 15 years and returning to the area 3 years ago, yet I have never been to Rotherham town centre?

Apparently, it isn't!

Though if it is worse than Stockton I would be very surprised!

Who cares? It's a meaningless title made up by some pointless people. I could create a 'Most Desirable Area in the World' competition and allow Parson Cross to win but it wouldn't mean anything.