Download of Windows 10

I keep getting a chance to download windows 10 for free. But is it really free someone has told me you only get it for a year and then you are charged.

You have one year to register and get the Free upgrade - once you have got the upgrade, it's won't cost you anything, even if you reinstall using a Windows 10 CD, you just use your original Windows (7 or 8) key, as it will have been upgraded...

So basically, you have a year to get it for free, if you want it after that year you have to buy it...

if during that year you do get it, then you won't have to pay anything, even after the year is up...

Just a quickie Ghozer. I've upgraded to 10 (I've had a few 'issues' but that's another story.

What happens if at some point I decide to wipe everything, as tends to happen after a while of using any operating system.

I'm presuming there's a partition on my hard drive to 'reset' everything back to delivery conditions. Which I assume would be Win 7 or 8 (can't remember which)

Would I have to go through the circus of upgrading again? What if it's 'after' the 12 month period?

Is there a way to create a windows 10 disk?

Just a quickie Ghozer. I've upgraded to 10 (I've had a few 'issues' but that's another story.

What happens if at some point I decide to wipe everything, as tends to happen after a while of using any operating system.

I'm presuming there's a partition on my hard drive to 'reset' everything back to delivery conditions. Which I assume would be Win 7 or 8 (can't remember which)

Would I have to go through the circus of upgrading again? What if it's 'after' the 12 month period?

Is there a way to create a windows 10 disk?

Just download a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft You do not need a product key to reinstall.

You have one year to register and get the Free upgrade - once you have got the upgrade, it's won't cost you anything, even if you reinstall using a Windows 10 CD, you just use your original Windows (7 or 8) key, as it will have been upgraded...

So basically, you have a year to get it for free, if you want it after that year you have to buy it...

if during that year you do get it, then you won't have to pay anything, even after the year is up...

Incorrect!

Just download a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft You do not need a product key to reinstall.

Thats right, when asked for a key on install, skip it.

Incorrect!

Thats right, when asked for a key on install, skip it.

That's incorrect - I was told this, so tried it, it will NOT activate if there's no key entered, if you enter your 7/8 key, it will NOT activate unless you have upgraded from within Windows first, then reinstalled from a fresh ISO...

It might let you install past the Key, but it will expire after 28 days, and you'll need to enter a key...

Edit: It even said on the MS link posted just above....

If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.

You don't get asked for your Key during upgrading (from an already installed Win 7/8) but if you reinstall, using the ISO (on a fresh system) then you will...

That's incorrect - I was told this, so tried it, it will NOT activate if there's no key entered, if you enter your 7/8 key, it will NOT activate unless you have upgraded from within Windows first, then reinstalled from a fresh ISO...

It might let you install past the Key, but it will expire after 28 days, and you'll need to enter a key...

I thought we were referring to a clean install after the W10 upgrade,

in which case, no key is needed.

-----------------------------

Edit: Sorry Ghozer, my mistake, two people asking different questions.

Edited by me-and-pippo

Every report I have seen says you cannot use a 7/8 key to install 10, even if you upgraded, they are still 7/8 keys and Windows 10 does not recognise them.

The instructions from Microsoft are clear, once you upgrade they record an ID of your PC and if you then later do a fresh install you should not enter a key.

I believe it works smoother if you use a Microsoft Account, there are perhaps some issues with it not recognising your machine correctly if you don't. Some people report only getting it to work by installing 7/8 and performing the upgrade again.

If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.

That is referring to if you bought a copy of Windows 10, not the free upgrade.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Odd, because I upgraded a Win 7 Home Pc to Windows 10, then put Win 7 Pro on that machine (enterprise license) and installed a fresh Windows 10 on the other.. used the old Win 7 home key, and it worked fine..

I can confirm I upgraded my win 8.1 machine (upgraded from 7), to 10 and the SSD subsequently died. I then put the original HDD in, did a fresh install of 10 and it activated without a key. I use a local account.