Car Damaged in Asda Car Park

God give this person a break. He's trying to do the right thing and everyone is having ago

Here here ??

If you drive a grey Peugeot that was parked in the Asda cark park at Drakehouse tonight, and came back to find your back bumper hanging off, PM me as I can tell you what happened.

A large van scraped down the back of your car, the driver had a look at the damage and scarped quickly.

Good on you for trying to help, not many people these days would go out of their way to help someone else :)

private land, not public highway, therefore its neither a traffic offence nor a criminal offence (unless you can prove wilful damage)

Its a civil claim

Not true. Car parks that are routinely open to the public are covered by the same law as the road. Leaving an accident without reporting it or exchanging details is a crime.

If anyone thinks the police have the time to actually deal with petty **** like this, dream on!

My job brings me into daily contact with the police and trust me, they are stretched and ****ed. So much paperwork, so much box ticking, so many petty criminals, druggies, low lifes, combined with budget cuts...

Knowing someone has committed a crime is nothing, most things are hard and time consuming to prove, unless the accused is stupid enough to cough for what they have done without a fuss, they will get away with it.

Edited by ryder8904

Exactly got my car scraped in parkgate from a reversing car, parkgate cctv didn't give a... Police didn't give a.. Cost me £900 respray

Why didn't you follow the driver to his home in a high speed chase, and confront him with his action, then savagely beat him in front of his family, whilst filming it all so you can put it on youtube?? Then deliver the bloody body to the car owner and receive his/her undying thanks???

Nothing worse than a half-arsed do gooder!!

After reading the comments on here, bet you'll never "try to do the right thing" ever again

If anyone thinks the police have the time to actually deal with petty **** like this, dream on!

My job brings me into daily contact with the police and trust me, they are stretched and ****ed. So much paperwork, so much box ticking, so many petty criminals, druggies, low lifes, combined with budget cuts...

Knowing someone has committed a crime is nothing, most things are hard and time consuming to prove, unless the accused is stupid enough to cough for what they have done without a fuss, they will get away with it.

Someone I know got a knock on the door from the police after just touching the bumper of another car in a car park. He checked and hadn't caused damaged, so he left. The owner reported it as a failure to exchange details, the police followed it up.

Why didn't you follow the driver to his home in a high speed chase, and confront him with his action, then savagely beat him in front of his family, whilst filming it all so you can put it on youtube?? Then deliver the bloody body to the car owner and receive his/her undying thanks???

Nothing worse than a half-arsed do gooder!!

After reading the comments on here, bet you'll never "try to do the right thing" ever again

Can't you see that unless he got details of both vehicles and passed them on to either the driver of the car or the police then the taking down of the van number and putting it on here is as much use as a chocolate fireguard unless the car driver happens to be a member of SF.

---------- Post added 01-10-2015 at 19:12 ----------

Good on you for trying to help, not many people these days would go out of their way to help someone else :)

Unfortunately posting on here is not going out of your way. Unless the car driver is a member of SF he'll never know who did it. Going out of your way would be passing both vehicle numbers to police or at least leaving van details under windscreen wiper of the car he hit

Someone I know got a knock on the door from the police after just touching the bumper of another car in a car park. He checked and hadn't caused damaged, so he left. The owner reported it as a failure to exchange details, the police followed it up.

And what happened?

A sturn but unofficial warning, so theres no paperwork but they can say they chased it up?

They didn't take it any further after they passed on the details of the injured party and he got in touch. They appeared willing too though. And the fact is that they took the report and they DID follow it up, because the RTA DOES apply in car parks.