Corsa C Steering Wheel Not Straight After Tracking

They are supposed to lock the steering wheel in the straight position before they start doing the tracking with a special tool that rests on the seat or floor.

If they havent done that,they should have and you are entitled to it doing properly.

Dont mess with removing the steering wheel if it has an airbag, youre asking for trouble if you do.

He put locking tool on the steering wheel but i am not sure if he put the steering wheel in dead straight position.

I am just confused cos independent mechanic says tracking is right and the people who done the tracking drove the car and said tracking spot on then why i have to keep the steering wheel a bit to the left to make it straight.

Only one thing comes in my mind that may be in the past some one took the steering wheel off and did not put back right, but again before tracking my steering wheel was almost straight

Edited by Digital2011

Be careful taking the steering wheel off it there's an airbag in it.

Personally I'd get a second opinion from another garage, pay out if you have to then get your money back from the other place.

The tracking is adjustable at both sides so what they have done is set it off centre to the steering wheel position, its quite possible that the tracking is spot on as the steering wheel position has nothing to do with if its tracked correctly or not.

They must have not had the steering wheel dead centre when it was tracked.

If they adjust the left wheel in a bit and the right wheel out then when its travelling in a straight line your steering wheel wont be in the centre.

It needs to go back and be readjusted so its right.

Dont take the steering wheel off,if theyve done it recently everything will be free underneath so adjustment shouldnt be too hard.

This is usually caused by the thrust line being out, this causes the rear axle to steer the vehicle hence you are moving the steering wheel (unknowingly) to compensate for this.

The rear axle needs to be measured, but as it cannot be adjusted (If its a fixed beam that is) any discrepancy needs to be compensated for when adjusting the front, the front also needs to be parallel with the rear + any discrepancy adjustments.

An example of this would be if you have a +1 setting on the nearside rear to nearside front parallel you would then have to put a +1 from your offside front to offside rear parallel.

Steering wheel would then be straight as a die :)

Edited by Dardandec
Typo

You don't need to take the steering wheel off to fix this problem the garage should have made sure that the wheel is straight before locking at tracking it up...

If they haven't don't this correctly then it won't be straight other option is the tracking is not correct..

Easy job for someone who knows what they are doing...

Taking the steering wheel off wi cause you more problems

You don't need to take the steering wheel off to fix this problem the garage should have made sure that the wheel is straight before locking at tracking it up...

If they haven't don't this correctly then it won't be straight other option is the tracking is not correct..

Easy job for someone who knows what they are doing...

Taking the steering wheel off wi cause you more problems

They tried their best with the best equipment they have.. I took the airbag just to see if steering wheel is proper sat on marking position and its exactly on marking position, so nobody fiddled with steering wheel in past i assume.

They tried their best with the best equipment they have

They probably shouldn't be offering the service if their equipment isn't up to the job. :mad:

They probably shouldn't be offering the service if their equipment isn't up to the job. :mad:

Well said they shouldn't be offering the service