War on the public sector and unions

Why is Cameron taking on the unions and public sector when strikes are at an all time low.

There is no problem, nothing to fix, if there is something wrong with workers striking, why are the public sector being singled out?

Public services are being run by anyone that offers the best and cheapest service, there is nothing to fix.

Cameron is also making union organisers wear an identification arm band, the unions are highlighting government failures and the Tories are doing there best to diminish their powers.

Join the march on Sunday in Manchester.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/about-tuc/no-austerity-4-oct-march-and-rally

What exactly do you object to in this bill?

Leaders having to wear armbands? 50% turnout? On what grounds?

What exactly do you object to in this bill?

Leaders having to wear armbands? 50% turnout? On what grounds?

My right to strike being taken away, because of political reasons.

I entirely agree with your OP but perhaps more correct to say it's being eaten away, quietly; bit by unobtrusive bit.

It's like a game of chess, all the pieces are being put in position...

So the bill will take away your right to strike??

In comparison to the private sector, we should have the same rights.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 21:04 ----------

I entirely agree with your OP but perhaps more correct to say it's being eaten away, quietly; bit by unobtrusive bit.

It's like a game of chess, all the pieces are being put in position...

Doctors are voting on strike action; should they have that right, the same as people in other jobs?

In comparison to the private sector, we should have the same rights.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 21:04 ----------

Doctors are voting on strike action; should they have that right, the same as people in other jobs?

Of the few strikes in 2014, this was one of them.

Public sector strikes hit schools and services around the UK, 10 July 2014 - turnout of 27%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28240683

It would not happen after this years changes to the law.

You still have the right to strike, you just don't have the right to impose your will on the whole union without a majority in favour. Its only right, especially when you could hold the country to ransom.

As a Nurse , I would never strike , my conscience wouldn't let me at all . I love my patients too much & I don't think Doctors would come out on strike either , by doing so , they too are putting patients at risk . Unless , they are off duty at the time , then it is up to them what they do

You still have the right to strike, you just don't have the right to impose your will on the whole union without a majority in favour. Its only right, especially when you could hold the country to ransom.

So too could the workforce of Tescos, why not have the private sector operate under the same rules?

In the link I gave as an example, a government spokesman said "most" public sector workers had reported for work and "nearly all key public services" were delivered as normal.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 22:00 ----------

As a Nurse , I would never strike , my conscience wouldn't let me at all . I love my patients too much & I don't think Doctors would come out on strike either , by doing so , they too are putting patients at risk . Unless , they are off duty at the time , then it is up to them what they do

So these rules are not needed.

Edited by El Cid

Of the few strikes in 2014, this was one of them.

Public sector strikes hit schools and services around the UK, 10 July 2014 - turnout of 27%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28240683

It would not happen after this years changes to the law.

But if only 27% felt bothered enough to vote, was it really such a big issue to warrant a strike? I don't think 50% turnout is a big ask. The difference with public sector is that I, as a taxpayer, am still paying for the service through taxation. It's not optional. If conditions are bad enough to strike I wouldn't begrudge that, but if less than 50% bother to vote then I wouldn't think conditions were that bad.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 22:15 ----------

So too could the workforce of Tescos, why not have the private sector operate under the same rules?

In the link I gave as an example, a government spokesman said "most" public sector workers had reported for work and "nearly all key public services" were delivered as normal.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 22:00 ----------

So these rules are not needed.

If Tesco go on strike, I'd shop elsewhere. If my doctor is on strike and I'm ill, or my house is on fire but firefighters are on strike, or my kids are needing education but teachers are on strike, I'm still paying my taxes for the service I'm not receiving.