Is Sheffield the worst planned developed city in UK?

Just think, 10 years from now when we call up our driverless e-car on our mobiles, and whizz through streets are completely free of parked cars, with the traffic flowing smoothly at speed, and arriving safely at our destination after a brief snooze and read of the paper.

Meanwhile, lets carry on littering the streets with our expensive chunks of stainless steel status indicators, that spend maybe 10% of the their time in use, and the rest of it cluttering up the place with their bulky ugliness.

Just think, 10 years from now when we call up our driverless e-car on our mobiles, and whizz through streets are completely free of parked cars, with the traffic flowing smoothly at speed, and arriving safely at our destination after a brief snooze and read of the paper.

Meanwhile, lets carry on littering the streets with our expensive chunks of stainless steel status indicators, that spend maybe 10% of the their time in use, and the rest of it cluttering up the place with their bulky ugliness.

Nice thought but I'd say 30 or 40 years hence. Going to be some interesting situations on the way to full driverless too, when we're part user driven, part driverless.

Given some people's distrust of Smart motorways (see other thread) perhaps 30-40 years is optimistic.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Do you drive a Delorean?

Do you drive a Delorean?

No, but I do have a poetic licence to alliterate.

Nice to see another anti bus poster :)

Just thinking with MOT coming up, wish my car was made of stainless steel....

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Just a small point re the attractiveness or otherwise of Sheffield. I was told by someone in the know that Sheffield is the city where most students choose to stay, live and work after their graduation.

anybody else stuck in the morning rush-hour chaos this morning, where a single broken down car on sheaf Street caused gridlock across the city?

Took me nearly half an hour to get from Shalesmoor to Brook Hill roundabout :roll:

How can one incident cause so much congestion?

The cost to the city in lost working hours must be huge

anybody else stuck in the morning rush-hour chaos this morning, where a single broken down car on sheaf Street caused gridlock across the city?

Took me nearly half an hour to get from Shalesmoor to Brook Hill roundabout :roll:

How can one incident cause so much congestion?

The cost to the city in lost working hours must be huge

it is very easy. you just cut off all the back roads so there is no alternative. then when an incident occurs it causes instant gridlock. i think it is a council policy.

Not the first time it's happened either, at least 2 more times that I can remember, and I don't commute by car most days!

Was it a bus on Derek Dooley way once, only blocking 1 lane, and something near the law courts also grid locked the entire city centre.

it is very easy. you just cut off all the back roads so there is no alternative. then when an incident occurs it causes instant gridlock. i think it is a council policy.

So do what I do. Leave the car at home and jump one one of those loverly buses, and that way we will all get to work quicker.........

........ said no-one ever!!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Does Not sound like you have traveled much...try driving around York or Liverpool and Middlesbrough is a nightmare of confusing one way no entry roads..Sheffield is probably one of the best places to get around in the country.

I was in Oxford the other day bus lanes cycle lanes Taxi stops everywhere pedestrian crossings every Ten feet it took me half an hour to do a mile in traffic there..no Sheffield is a decent city to get around compared to most...