Is Sheffield the worst planned developed city in UK?

Never known such a small town have so many badly designed road junctions, roundabouts, insane road planning with almost no cycle infrastructure.

If Sheffield was full of grade 1&2 listed buildings I could slightly understand. But this town is almost a blank canvas, it has an abundance of empty space and half empty non listed buildings which make it very easy for planners to improve traffic flow, junctions, roundabouts provide space for pedestrians and segregated cycle paths.

Never known such a small town have so many badly designed road junctions, roundabouts, insane road planning with almost no cycle infrastructure.

If Sheffield was full of grade 1&2 listed buildings I could slightly understand. But this town is almost a blank canvas, it has an abundance of empty space and half empty non listed buildings which make it very easy for planners to improve traffic flow, junctions, roundabouts provide space for pedestrians and segregated cycle paths.

Such a small town ? Sheffield is one of the biggest citys in the country and is a city, i agree that the road planning in the city centre is a complete mess and must have been disigned by a right pilok.

Round here its mostly streets built between about 1890 and 1910. I'm not sure they considered that each house might have two horseless carriages heading to town with 3 empty seats each day.

Seems we had an efficient mass transit system back then.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-sheffield-walkley-tram-terminus-early-1900s-58034466.html

http://www.chrishobbs.com/walkley2.jpg

That's 1905 in the picture above although most of it looks the same 110 years later

Small town???

We're one of the largest city's!

We have many cycle lanes, under used in my opinion as cyclists often do use these, far more than other cities like Manchester.

Also why should investment be made to people who don't contribute towards the cyclist system. Yes they may have a car and the money they pay is for that. Cyclists pay nothing for what they get and expect the world.

This will probably start a rant off now but it's my view. And yes I do occasionally cycle so can express my view

No cycle infrastructure in a city built across the foothills of the Pennines? Shocking.

You're absolutely right. Most UK cities are very poor compared to those in much of mainland Europe but Sheffield is definitely lagging far behind and the urban environment is particularly poor in a lot of places. Manchester is currently spending £20milion of Cycle City Ambition funding, Leeds £42million, Sheffield nothing near that as we didn't even apply for the money.

Don't get dragged into the usual 'cyclist bashing' but if you'd like to chat about this more then come along to our first 'Cycling in the Pub' event in October. We're going to be holding a series of them discuss things to do with sustainable cities, planning and design for cycling.

Also why should investment be made to people who don't contribute towards the cyclist system. Yes they may have a car and the money they pay is for that. Cyclists pay nothing for what they get and expect the world.

No matter how many times it gets pointed out, the willingly blind still refuse to accept the fact that roads get paid for out of general taxation and not out of the now long-gone road tax.

No matter how many times it gets pointed out, the willingly blind still refuse to accept the fact that roads get paid for out of general taxation and not out of the now long-gone road tax.

gosh all that money motorists pay in tax on the fuel whilst cyclists pay nothing

gosh all that money motorists pay in tax on the fuel whilst cyclists pay nothing

Perhaps they should put a bounty on each cyclists head say £20 for each one you knock off. The winner each week could win a prize of a week in vegas for 2. Make all the roads wider and get the traffic flowing as it should do.

Cyclist pay petrol tax at exactly the same rate as motorists.

I pay my fair share as I tend to drive when I am not cycling.

We have many cycle lanes, under used in my opinion as cyclists often do use these, far more than other cities like Manchester.

This will probably start a rant off now but it's my view. And yes I do occasionally cycle so can express my view

Your view is based on ignorance and lack of understanding, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how silly it is.