Ant-gentrification protest at the Cereal Killer cafe

I am a little puzzled as to why people want an area to stay rundown and unloved instead of being improved.If people want to spend their money renovating an area and bringing new life to it then why is this a bad thing.Stocksbridge is having a new shopping and leisure village built which I will be glad to see instead of the rundown shops that we have at the moment.I haven't seen anybody protesting about it in Stocksbridge,i think most of us are looking forward to getting more upmarket shops.I appreciate that there are a lot of people who cannot afford to pay £2.50 for a coffee or £4.00 for a toastie but there are a lot of people who do want to.We can surely not have segregated areas with signs saying poor people this side wealthier people the other side.Thats even more demeaning and offensive to the less well off.

As long as there's choice I don't see a problem. But what seems to happening in parts of London is that rents are being forced up because the area is becoming more popular therefore those people who are brought up in the area can no longer afford to live there. It sounds like places like Padstow in Cornwall that attract holiday cottage owners who can buy up the property that locals can't afford to.

Is anyone else a little disappointed that the thread isn't about ants being gentrified?

Sounds like another species of wildlife from up Alc's end of town :lol:

I'm definitely not getting the title fixed now :)

As long as there's choice I don't see a problem. But what seems to happening in parts of London is that rents are being forced up because the area is becoming more popular therefore those people who are brought up in the area can no longer afford to live there. It sounds like places like Padstow in Cornwall that attract holiday cottage owners who can buy up the property that locals can't afford to.

I do not think that there is a lot that can be done about that.Stopping people from buying homes as investments is the only way to stop that but what government is going to be brave enough to do that.I do not even think Jeremy Corbyn would consider doing that.Holiday makers keep places like Padstow going.We cannot earmark areas as only for people born there.

Yes you can. You are incontravertibly wrong.

No you're incontrovertibly wrong. I was born and raised in north London and still regularly visit. You cannot get traditional eastend grub at reasonable prices in Shoreditch. The next nearest place would probably be Walthamstow - where even the dog track is now been converted into luxury apartments!

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 22:10 ----------

I am a little puzzled as to why people want an area to stay rundown and unloved instead of being improved.If people want to spend their money renovating an area and bringing new life to it then why is this a bad thing.Stocksbridge is having a new shopping and leisure village built which I will be glad to see instead of the rundown shops that we have at the moment.I haven't seen anybody protesting about it in Stocksbridge,i think most of us are looking forward to getting more upmarket shops.I appreciate that there are a lot of people who cannot afford to pay £2.50 for a coffee or £4.00 for a toastie but there are a lot of people who do want to.We can surely not have segregated areas with signs saying poor people this side wealthier people the other side.Thats even more demeaning and offensive to the less well off.

Gentrification doesn't create wealth, it just moves it.

How you would feel if your neighbourhood improved and then was forced out of your home because middle class Guardianist want it?

Edited by gwhite78

I do not think that there is a lot that can be done about that.Stopping people from buying homes as investments is the only way to stop that but what government is going to be brave enough to do that.I do not even think Jeremy Corbyn would consider doing that.Holiday makers keep places like Padstow going.We cannot earmark areas as only for people born there.

A lot of the new apartments in London are also bought by people from abroad and left empty most of the year.

No you're incontrovertibly wrong. I was born and raised in north London and still regularly visit. You cannot get traditional eastend grub at reasonable prices in Shoreditch. The next nearest place would probably be Walthamstow - where even the dog track is now been converted into luxury apartments!

How you would feel if your neighbourhood improved and then was forced out of your home because middle class Guardianist want it?

If somebody is willing to pay me more than its worth I will snatch their hands off.I do actually live in a middle class area if I am honest.

Middle class Telegraph areas are better.

If somebody is willing to pay me more than its worth I will snatch their hands off.I do actually live in a middle class area if I am honest.

Most natives (like myself) lived in social housing which was sold off by various london borough councils and housing associations under the guise of Urban Renewal. Which is in fact Urban Removal. Many clauses meant we was forced out into private accommodation we couldn't afford. However some council tenants did buy their property and make a quick buck, but even with council discounts most properties are unaffordable to most working class people.

London is fast becoming a playground for the wealthy, the mix of tenures in different areas is what made London socially diverse, interesting and vibrant. We might see change when migrants are now longer willing to live in 12 to a room and do jobs for yuppies such as clean the toilets, serve them coffee, drive the buses etc etc....

Edited by gwhite78

So the scumbags have targetted tourism now.

So they dont want businesses to come to the area. They dont want tourists so they want to live in a slum.

http://news.sky.com/story/1563488/class-war-justifies-serial-killer-museum-protest

class war is jealousy pure and simple, fed by the entitlement culture that was born under labour :loopy:.