Ant-gentrification protest at the Cereal Killer cafe

This is quite shocking really. A niche shop in London targeted by a mob of 200 protesters

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/anti-gentrification-protesters-attack-cereal-killer-cafe-with-paint-a6668886.html

I don't agree with the protest but are things a little bit out of hand when a bowl of cereal and a coffee costs £5?

no one forces anywhere to go there.

no one forces anywhere to go there.

I doubt they were protesting about the price of the cereals!

It sounds like a good business to me really.. Original, quite zany, unusual decor and not expensive. I'm not surprised it's popular. It's exactly the kind of thing London is noted for all over the world.

The protestors are like black Americans upset because a bunch of Korean or Taiwanese recent immigrants only just arrived in New York a couple of years ago but set up good businesses, so they riot and torch them because they lack the imagination and have no drive to do anything at all themselves.

some people would protest at the slightest thing! go do something constructive, so what if a bowl of cereal and a coffee costs £5 you are not forced to buy it, go elsewhere, if there isnt enough takers it will go bust big deal!!

on the other hand you get some people pricing up all the ingredients and then saying ooh i can make that at home for 20p:roll::roll:

I totally agree the protest was wrong. Still can't get my head around why they targeted that business.

I do think however that in that particular area where poverty is a really problem, the fact that a bowl of cereal and a drink could cost almost £9 (I just looked at the menu) then things have got more than a little bit odd.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 19:18 ----------

Was that question asked before you thought about HMRC's corporate tax take on the expected profits, or after? ;)

(I say 'expected', because I don't know the first thing about that cafe's overheads in central London...which I don't expect to be trivial, even if all employees are on ZHC/NMW).

More profits on a cereal + coffee deal = more corporate tax = more going towards the Gvt's budget.

No profits = zero corporate tax = Gvt has to borrow the shortfall.

That's the basic principle anyway, I don't expect Corbynistas to acknowledge it, even if they get it.

I also fully expect the usual cries about tax avoidance/tax evasion <etc.> (entirely irrelevant, unless one happens to know for a fact that this cafe's owner/shareholder engage in such practices).

Not allowed to be successful? That's how France 'turned' in the 80s after Mitterrand got elected. It's been wallowing in it ever since, lastly with Hollande and his 'bash the rich and the corpos' electoral agenda. The outcomes of this generalised mindset are clear for all to see.

It's more a comment on the contrast between rich and poor in the area. That is what, it seems, the protestors were trying to protest about.

I have some sympathy with the sentiment but not with their methods.

Er, you can buy a box of cereal for less than that. It's not as though they have to cook it! More fool them that buy into such pretentiousness, more money than sense.:loopy:

I do not really understand what they are protesting about to be honest,if somebody wants to pay that much for cereal then just take their money,i would.If you do not want to pay it just do not go there its as simple as that.

Er, you can buy a box of cereal for less than that. It's not as though they have to cook it! More fool them that buy into such pretentiousness, more money than sense.:loopy:

I don't see what the problem is here. Go to Costa, buy a coffee and muffin for about a skin diver.

I don't see what the problem is here. Go to Costa, buy a coffee and muffin for about a skin diver.

Exactly,i paid £2.50 for a coffee at the weekend and very nice it was.:thumbsup:

I for one, salute our new insect overlords…

:)

Was meaning to get that fixed

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 20:04 ----------

Good lord. In all seriousness that is a rip-off.

There is proper coffee out there...... and that muffin was probably from a similar factory to where Asda muffins that are four for a quid are baked.

It sounds like a good business to me really.. Original, quite zany, unusual decor and not expensive. I'm not surprised it's popular. It's exactly the kind of thing London is noted for all over the world.

The protestors are like black Americans upset because a bunch of Korean or Taiwanese recent immigrants only just arrived in New York a couple of years ago but set up good businesses, so they riot and torch them because they lack the imagination and have no drive to do anything at all themselves.

I don't think it's because protestors lack imagination or drive. Not that I'm defending their methods.

There is proper coffee out there...... and that muffin was probably from a similar factory to where Asda muffins that are four for a quid are baked.

To be fair we do not know how much it costs to run that café.I suspect the running costs will be a lot more expensive than a Greasy Spoon café in some working class northern town.I may be wrong they may be making millions and driving round in a Lamborghini but I doubt it.

So maybe we can conclude the muffin and the coffee only forms a small part of Costa Coffee's overheads?

I only buy the occasional coffee and never a cake, bun or sarnie. As you say overpriced.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 20:30 ----------

Exactly,i paid £2.50 for a coffee at the weekend and very nice it was.:thumbsup:

What the coffee, or the weekend?:P