Bailiff question

Consent?

To what? More Freeman on the Land woo?

it might be floating on the edge of that but for commercial debt recovery people most of it probably works but once you get into the court system proper it applies less and less and you may ultimately end up committing a criminal offence.

I always wondered if that actually works??

Even if you put 'return to sender' on it, and it's got a return address do the Royal Mail bother to take it back??

No, much of the time letters are processed by a mailing house (my ex works for one), so the return address is quite often meaningless.

When I moved into my rented place I was getting letters for the previous tenant and I used to write RETURN TO SENDER on them and stick them in the post box, only for another to arrive a month or three later.

In the end, after a bailiff visit I started opening his mail and ringing up each company and telling them he'd moved. After that the letters stopped.

It's not a tenancy geared, it's my own house.

oh right, bloody hell :o:o:o

I believe then the correct approach is to wave a garden fork around in the air and shout "Gerrof mi laaad"

Funnily enough I inadvertandly did that...

Opened the door, and caught a baliff in the act of knocking, he was just reaching for the door knocker as the door opened towards him. Only problem - from his viewpoint - was I was carrying a shotgun. It all got a bit silly when he decided to have a go.

No, much of the time letters are processed by a mailing house (my ex works for one), so the return address is quite often meaningless.

When I moved into my rented place I was getting letters for the previous tenant and I used to write RETURN TO SENDER on them and stick them in the post box, only for another to arrive a month or three later.

In the end, after a bailiff visit I started opening his mail and ringing up each company and telling them he'd moved. After that the letters stopped.

Considering that we've been in our house 5 years, that we are the second owner-occupiers since it was built and that the house was never rented, I always open these letters.

On the rare occasions we've been caught in this sort of loop (BIB), I've used the bailiffs' own tactics: I've written back to the company chasing the debt (recorded delivery), informed them about the departure of the 1st owner-occupier with the month and year of departure (or the absence of any knowledge about the person they're chasing ever residing at our address...always a bit worrisome, these), and laid out my own terms and conditions, namely: any additional time, phone charges <etc> I would have to spend correcting their record-keeping or, God forbid, contesting undue payment demands, would be charged out to them at my professional hourly rate and payable at 30 days, with monthly interest in case of late payment, and a SCC claim in case of continuing payment default.

Not had a chance to enforce yet.

Edited by L00b

Write to them, tell them to look on the electoral roll and withdraw their implied right of access.

Every time they show up call the police. They learn eventually. Like you I fail to see why the onus is on the homeowner to stop harassment.

Great idea. and we wonder why police dont have time to deal with real crime

Great idea. and we wonder why police dont have time to deal with real crime

There have been plenty of posts with advice about what to do.

What would you do if someone tries to enter your property illegally?

-

The shotgun idea sounded good, as did the pitchfork, however, either would get ME into trouble, and unfortunately I own neither! :hihi:

If mail is not in your name- bin it.

Returning mail only generates more mail like this because it tells the sender that someone scammable lives at the address.

Eventually these letters will arrive with your name on them.

You have been hereby warned.

Isn't binning it technically illegal?

so is chasing people for debts they don't owe.

so is scamming.

ASH: buy 24 inch hand saw it is best form of protecting your self, they will not try and grab the blade to take it off you