Parking on Broken yellow lines/ wrong ticket issued

So, technicalities that drivers have in the past used to try to get off with penalties, like for example the end bar on a yellow line not being present, no longer apply.

Has the legislation changed to support that, or is it just the wishful thinking of enforcement people?

---------- Post added 01-09-2016 at 23:25 ----------

Being fair to Amey, markings are often refreshed within a few days of being reported if they are genuinely worn out.

If they can't see them for themselves then we probably need to hire a company with staff that have eyes.

Perhaps in countries where the populous are more sophisticated such as Sweden or Germany but in this country, no. There's too many arseholes like the one I mentioned in my previous post.

In these countries they have a rule that the person who comes from the right side has right of way.

I have seen equal understanding on UK roads as these other sophisticated countries.

A new edition of Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions came out this year. See: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/contents/made

So, technicalities that drivers have in the past used to try to get off with penalties, like for example the end bar on a yellow line not being present, no longer apply.

Has the legislation changed to support that, or is it just the wishful thinking of enforcement people?

Come on, Planner1 posted a link to the actual 2016 legislation on the gov.uk site. How much more evidence do you need that there is indeed new legislation?

---------- Post added 01-09-2016 at 23:25 ----------

If they can't see them for themselves then we probably need to hire a company with staff that have eyes.

Do you think it reasonable that Amey should have enough staff to check every road marking in Sheffield? At what interval?

The inspections that would pick up a worn line are only every 6 or 12 months depending on type of road (safety inspections are more frequesnt), but as you say, it's down to the observation skills of the operative.

Lines can become worn out / damaged in the intervening period, so best to report them to Streets Ahead or Fix My Street.

My experience of a few years back is, if you can reasonably assume or, an average person can see (out of the car) that there are yellow lines there, whether they are faded or not, you have to pay

"funding" can include attempts to reduce costs.

Road markings are considerably thinner (vertically) on application than they used to be.

Have there been any material changes in specifications over the last 20 years?

Methods of application can vary and I understand there's a bit more choice in materials. Some of it will be down to the skills of the operative though.

Don't forget that many of the roads have been resurfaced, so the old lines have gone and the ones you see now are the first application. When they are refreshed, the thickness builds up. Some of the roads hadn't been resurfaced for many years, and the lines on them may have been overlaid many times, which can build up a good thickness.

Methods of application can vary and I understand there's a bit more choice in materials. Some of it will be down to the skills of the operative though.

Don't forget that many of the roads have been resurfaced, so the old lines have gone and the ones you see now are the first application. When they are refreshed, the thickness builds up. Some of the roads hadn't been resurfaced for many years, and the lines on them may have been overlaid many times, which can build up a good thickness.

Don't forgot that I have been round long enough to watch a whole variety of application operations.

I have watched thick applications that have lasted a decade and thin applications that have lasted less than two years.

If you know, or can find out .... What are the specifications given to contractors/Amey by Sheffield Council regarding the quality/thickness/durability of yellow and white lines?

Have they changed over the last decade?

Don't forgot that I have been round long enough to watch a whole variety of application operations.

I have watched thick applications that have lasted a decade and thin applications that have lasted less than two years.

If you know, or can find out .... What are the specifications given to contractors/Amey by Sheffield Council regarding the quality/thickness/durability of yellow and white lines?

Have they changed over the last decade?

How would I know how long you've been around?

Markings in busy locations can wear out in a few months. Wear rates depend on a lot of factors.

I don't have anything to do with specification of new installations or maintenance. If you want technical details on the specification you might be best to send the Council an FOI.

I don't have anything to do with specification of new installations or maintenance. If you want technical details on the specification you might be best to send the Council an FOI.

So you don't actually know if the markings being laid down today are as durable as those in past years.

So you don't actually know if the markings being laid down today are as durable as those in past years.

No, I don't. Neither do I have any need to know.

The inspections that would pick up a worn line are only every 6 or 12 months depending on type of road (safety inspections are more frequesnt), but as you say, it's down to the observation skills of the operative.

Lines can become worn out / damaged in the intervening period, so best to report them to Streets Ahead or Fix My Street.

No doubt the Amey resurfacing scheme will involve reinstating worn-away yellow lines.