Parking on Broken yellow lines/ wrong ticket issued

Last year I was issued a parking ticket for genuinely unknowingly parking on Double yellow lines based at the top end of Granville Road.

I contented this as they was not visible enough to notice and with large sections incomplete also. 4 months later Sheffield council in there wisdom then decided to repaint them after a call from a local areas councilor expressing there lack of marking visibility. 1 yr later Sheffield council are still pursuing me for this ticket despite painting them but previously claimed that if the average person can notice them then they are considered fine? so what does Sheffield council consider the average person I emailed them to ask what is considered in the eyes of the council a faded line but except able quality and whats a faded but not excepted quality and if the could supply images to support fair and unfair..guess what they tracked my email address first before answering the question making it a bias opinion and could see i had a case open and so i was fobbed off.

does anyone have a experience of a tribunal with Sheffield city council for similar parking issues or have a case than was won and on what grounds/logic that I can use as supporting evidence for my case. as whats not fair is that if i had not taken my own pictures pre-repaint I would have been left with no evidence of the poorly maintained lines with over 1 meter of line missing too. thank you people.

You will need evidence to prove they were faded at the time so I hope you have some photo's.

Whatever the circumstances the best place for your appeal would be to post something on http://www.pepipoo.com

Good luck

Hi Yes i fortunately managed to photograph them much to there disappointment i'm sure it will be and thanks for the web link I shall take a look into it :)

Your mistake was parking on double yellows at the 'top end of Granville Road'.

You should try Darnall where they appear to be able to park with impunity on single yellows, double yellows, crossing zig-zags and even across light controlled crossings. Not forgetting double parking in the middle of the road.

Good luck with your claim.

:) Philli I think your mistaken here this is not parking this is considered dumping... but I know exactly what your saying..lol

Your mistake was parking on double yellows at the 'top end of Granville Road'.

You should try Darnall where they appear to be able to park with impunity on single yellows, double yellows, crossing zig-zags and even across light controlled crossings. Not forgetting double parking in the middle of the road.

Good luck with your claim.

I went down yesterday there was a taxi parked on the island outside lighting shop. And a car on pavement outside wilko-s. Nobody bothered. :hihi::hihi:

You haven't a leg to stand on - faded or not. They were visible. You can't argue faded asa defence because once the lines are newly painted the following day [ in theory] they must have already 'faded' and so the process begins.

You were illegally parked. That is not being contested. You are contesting the visibility of the painted lines as a defence. Hence, the argument of a legless man .... not so much drunk as plain daft.

I think the broken or faded lines parking thing is a myth that was dealt with years ago.

You haven't a leg to stand on - faded or not. They were visible. You can't argue faded asa defence because once the lines are newly painted the following day [ in theory] they must have already 'faded' and so the process begins.

You were illegally parked. That is not being contested. You are contesting the visibility of the painted lines as a defence. Hence, the argument of a legless man .... not so much drunk as plain daft.

You're entirely wrong, if the lines are broken then they are not legal.

Last year I was issued a parking ticket for genuinely unknowingly parking on Double yellow lines based at the top end of Granville Road.

I contented this as they was not visible enough to notice and with large sections incomplete also. 4 months later Sheffield council in there wisdom then decided to repaint them after a call from a local areas councilor expressing there lack of marking visibility. 1 yr later Sheffield council are still pursuing me for this ticket despite painting them but previously claimed that if the average person can notice them then they are considered fine? so what does Sheffield council consider the average person I emailed them to ask what is considered in the eyes of the council a faded line but except able quality and whats a faded but not excepted quality and if the could supply images to support fair and unfair..guess what they tracked my email address first before answering the question making it a bias opinion and could see i had a case open and so i was fobbed off.

does anyone have a experience of a tribunal with Sheffield city council for similar parking issues or have a case than was won and on what grounds/logic that I can use as supporting evidence for my case. as whats not fair is that if i had not taken my own pictures pre-repaint I would have been left with no evidence of the poorly maintained lines with over 1 meter of line missing too. thank you people.

No Court experience; but a wholly obliterated (not merely faded) yellow line on a side-road in the Hunters Bar area occasioned a ticket on my car last year. AND there were no warning plates nearby, either. I've challenged it. SCC have not yet responded formally.

I'm afraid that's not correct.

The lines do not have to be continuous and they can be faded and still be legally enforceable.

The traffic penalty tribunal adjudicators take the view that in the event of the lines being worn or there are small gaps in them, if a reasonable person could discern that there is a waiting restriction in place, then it IS enforceable.

The Council's civil enforcement officers have good experience of what is and is not acceptable to the adjudication service, so they tend not to issue PCN's where they would not be upheld.

---------- Post added 19-08-2016 at 17:16 ----------

was there also signs on nearby lampposts?

There are never any signs for double yellow lines, there is no legal requirement for any.

I'm afraid that's not correct.

The lines do not have to be continuous and they can be faded and still be legally enforceable.

The traffic penalty tribunal adjudicators take the view that in the event of the lines being worn or there are small gaps in them, if a reasonable person could discern that there is a waiting restriction in place, then it IS enforceable.

The Council's civil enforcement officers have good experience of what is and is not acceptable to the adjudication service, so they tend not to issue PCN's where they would not be upheld.

---------- Post added 19-08-2016 at 17:16 ----------

There are never any signs for double yellow lines, there is no legal requirement for any.

Why are there no clear way signs on the Holme Lane tram route when you say it is the regulations on side roads at Hillsborough , Langsett Road .

Answer as per usual:hihi:

Been proved in court that the yellow lines and associated signs have to be set up in a very precise way to be legal and Nick Freeman aka Mr Loophole would be able to tie the prosecution in in knots in the vast majority of cases.

I'd probably just pay up and avoid all the bother of contesting it though. :)