5p charge for carrier bags

I think it's safe to say, we'll get the same waffle that Wales and Scotland give. In as much as it's reduced bag use by 80%...Which isn't actually true...It's reduced 'sales' of 5p bags by 80%, which is completely different. So the gov can all go about slapping each other on the back and feed us dubious statistics..

I'm pleased I'm not the only one that finds this all ridiculous.

China is building a coal fired power station once a week and to offset against the supposed damage to the environment..........this country thinks charging 5p for a bag is a solution!!!!

You couldn't make this nonsense up.

Why is it a rip off? Just take your own bags.... simple really.. I haven't used a carrier bag from a supermarket for years..

Maybe your shopping habits are different from 'most' people.

Maybe your shopping habits are different from 'most' people.

How do "most" people shop?

I think it's safe to say, we'll get the same waffle that Wales and Scotland give. In as much as it's reduced bag use by 80%...Which isn't actually true...It's reduced 'sales' of 5p bags by 80%, which is completely different. So the gov can all go about slapping each other on the back and feed us dubious statistics..

Not really. The article said it had reduced bag sales by 80%, not bag use so stop creating a drama. Obviously it will take some time for the baklog of carrier bags in circulation to be disposed of, but the lower sales will eventualy have an effect. You really are a drama queen, Pete.

How do "most" people shop?

Well...Most people who I've been in queues with waiting to pay for their goods at the checkout, didn't have their own bags..They used the free ones.

But I expect the queues you were in, they all did? :suspect:

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 13:52 ----------

Not really. The article said it had reduced bag sales by 80%, not bag use so stop creating a drama. Obviously it will take some time for the baklog of carrier bags in circulation to be disposed of, but the lower sales will eventualy have an effect. You really are a drama queen, Pete.

No it doesn't say bag sales...It says bag usage!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/apr/17/scotland-plastic-bag-usage-falls-after-5p-charge-introduced

I'm pleased I'm not the only one that finds this all ridiculous.

China is building a coal fired power station once a week and to offset against the supposed damage to the environment..........this country thinks charging 5p for a bag is a solution!!!!

You couldn't make this nonsense up.

I think that you've not quite understood the sentiments behind charging 5p for a carrier bag. This idea is to cut down on discarded plastic bags littering the country and causing harm to the wildlife.

I think that you've not quite understood the sentiments behind charging 5p for a carrier bag. This idea is to cut down on discarded plastic bags littering the country and causing harm to the wildlife.

Of course coal fired power station (as used in his example) don't cause any problems do they?

Well...Most people who I've been in queues with waiting to pay for their goods at the checkout, didn't have their own bags..They used the free ones.

I just take my own hessian bags..they've lasted years...

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 13:57 ----------

Of course coal fired power station (as used in his example) don't cause any problems do they?

It's a totally different subject Pete...

Whoever made such a claim are just being daft, but it's not as daft as the sentiment that we shouldn't bother doing anything because China's building power stations.

What's your point again?

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 13:52 ----------

No it doesn't say bag sales...It says bag usage!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/apr/17/scotland-plastic-bag-usage-falls-after-5p-charge-introduced

Usage as far as the data collected means sales, because they are using them at the point of sale to pack their shopping in.

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 14:06 ----------

Whoever made such a claim are just being daft, but it's not as daft as the sentiment that we shouldn't bother doing anything because China's building power stations.

What's your point again?

TBF Ricky was the one who introduced the power station argument and you know how unusual his line of reasoning is.

The environment argument for carriers is largely related to litter, the cost of clean up and the damage to wild life. Just becayse someone else in another country is doing something doesnt make it an excuse not to do something here.

Usage as far as the data collected means sales, because they are using them at the point of sale to pack their shopping in.

So the sales of bags at the point of sale are down 80%...That's not usage?

Which word do you want to go with?..Sales, or usage? Cos they're different animals.

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 14:06 ----------

TBF Ricky was the one who introduced the power station argument and you know how unusual his line of reasoning is.

The environment argument for carriers is largely related to litter, the cost of clean up and the damage to wild life. Just becayse someone else in another country is doing something doesnt make it an excuse not to do something here.

To be fair to me, I did point out Ricky that the idea was to cut down on discarded plastic bags littering the country and cutting down on the harm it does to the wildlife.

Then Pete followed up with his loaded question, to which I replied.