5p charge for carrier bags

That's why it's a rip-off - we are paying twice!

To be fair the supermarkets, this one isn't really their fault.

To be fair the supermarkets, this one isn't really their fault.

Supermarkets can actually keep the revenue raised from the charges being levied - they don't have to prove where they donated it to.

So we can expect the price of my shopping to decrease can we?

... or the shops could always give you a free carrier bag! :idea:

Oh, hang on... :huh:

So we can expect the price of my shopping to decrease can we? I am in favour of the charge in general, but I suspect bags were given out free as shops realised people would buy more if they knew they'd get free bags. Some posted on here saying that they take a certain number of bags and when they have enough stuff to fill them, they stop shopping. If only a small percentage did this the profits to the supermarkets would likely drop.

Yes you have a point here. Since the charge I take shopping bags into the store with me. I have about 5 which I keep in the car. Now leaving aside the fact that as a bloke, I feel a bit of a numpty carrying shopping bags around with me while I'm shopping, I am also very aware of not buying more than will fit in the bags, and I don't. Whereas previously, I'd just 'shop'...Cos I knew I'd get however many bags I wanted, including some items being 'double bagged' in case the goods went through them.

So for 'me', yes it does work out that I tend to spend less than I used to. I can't imagine my shopping habits are very much different from any other person.

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 12:34 ----------

Supermarkets can actually keep the revenue raised from the charges being levied - they don't have to prove where they donated it to.

Actually, no. They have to declare it annually.

Here's an extract from the gov website:

You must record for the whole reporting year:

the number of single-use carrier bags you supplied

the gross and net proceeds of the charge

any VAT in the gross proceeds

what you did with the proceeds from the charge

any reasonable costs and how they break down

Send records to Defra

You must send your records to Defra on or before 31 May following the end of the reporting year. For example, for the period 5 October 2015 to 6 April 2016 you must send your details by 31 May 2016.

This information will be made public.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities

The same applies to me........ I am a lot more mindful of what I'm buying now, whereas before I never thought about it.

The same applies to me........ I am a lot more mindful of what I'm buying now, whereas before I never thought about it.

You never thought about buying another £20's worth of stuff yet 5p on a carrier bag puts you off?

You never thought about buying another £20's worth of stuff yet 5p on a carrier bag puts you off?

Yes....It's the principle, as I've said multiple times in this thread...

Makes no sense, I know...But hey...!

Yes....It's the principle, as I've said multiple times in this thread...

Makes no sense, I know...But hey...!

I was put off (and didn't go in) to Iceland to buy a few quids worth of stuff due to being required to buy a carrier bag.

I chose to go to Tesco later, having gone home to get my bag.

I was put off (and didn't go in) to Iceland to buy a few quids worth of stuff due to being required to buy a carrier bag.

I chose to go to Tesco later, having gone home to get my bag.

I wonder ... If a supermarket decided to give away free mutiple use carrier bags, whether they would get away with it? (Ie a bag for life)...

The law only covers single use carrier bags...Although the definition of that in my view is a bit dubious, as to me a single use carrier bag isn't single use, as I always use it at least twice...

I wonder ... If a supermarket decided to give away free mutiple use carrier bags, whether they would get away with it? (Ie a bag for life)...

The law only covers single use carrier bags...Although the definition of that in my view is a bit dubious, as to me a single use carrier bag isn't single use, as I always use it at least twice...

I thought that too.

It's something that one chain might attempt in the future.

The introduction of the 5p charge has changed my behaviour but not in a way that a supermarket chain would like.

I think it's changed my behaviour as I (and many others) object to being ripped-off like this.

Interesting to see how it evolves over the years.

I thought that too.

The introduction of the 5p charge has changed my behaviour but not in a way that a supermarket chain would like.

I think it's changed my behaviour as I (and many others) object to being ripped-off like this.

Why is it a rip off? Just take your own bags.... simple really.. I haven't used a carrier bag from a supermarket for years..

I thought that too.

I think it's safe to say, we'll get the same waffle that Wales and Scotland give. In as much as it's reduced bag use by 80%...Which isn't actually true...It's reduced 'sales' of 5p bags by 80%, which is completely different. So the gov can all go about slapping each other on the back and feed us dubious statistics..