5p charge for carrier bags

I've not paid for a single carrier since they introduced charges and when I'm in a situation when I don't have 'Bag for life' I'll go somewhere that isn't charging. I did get five of the 10p ones in Tesco when I went last week for milk and other stuff that the market don't sell.

When did they charge for carriers by the way?

Havent you just contradicted yourself? If you havent paid, then what are the 10p ones?

Im trying to remember when they charged. A long time ago sometime in the 80s i'd think but its supermarkets I think that made them free as an encouragement for you to spend more. O think they were 3p.

---------- Post added 19-10-2015 at 18:39 ----------

21 pages? how can people care so much?

Mostly people responding and listening to other unhappy souls, whilst windering what all the fuss is about.

Havent you just contradicted yourself? If you havent paid, then what are the 10p ones?

Im trying to remember when they charged. A long time ago sometime in the 80s i'd think but its supermarkets I think that made them free as an encouragement for you to spend more. O think they were 3p.

---------- Post added 19-10-2015 at 18:39 ----------

Mostly people responding and listening to other unhappy souls, whilst windering what all the fuss is about.

They were giving them away free in the week running up to the introduction of the 5p charge - it was a promotion run my Tesco.

If I go to asda and forget to take my bags I pick up a bag for life and scan the barcode on the bottom which says free bag for life replacement scan the barcode for zero price.

If I go to asda and forget to take my bags I pick up a bag for life and scan the barcode on the bottom which says free bag for life replacement scan the barcode for zero price.

Ahhh, so you're actually stealing the bag rather than replacing it?

Not care, whinge! Living close to Wales I saw the charge come in back in 2011 and there wasn't half as much moaning as there is in England.

Interestingly, in Scotland:

Plastic bag charge in Scotland sees usage cut by 80%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34575364

Its a thread for life ......sorry ;)

Not care, whinge! Living close to Wales I saw the charge come in back in 2011 and there wasn't half as much moaning as there is in England.

Interestingly, in Scotland:

Plastic bag charge in Scotland sees usage cut by 80%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34575364

This is a complete fallacy. Plastic bag usage isn't reduced by 80%. Selling the plastic bags for 5p has reduced 'sales' of those bags by 80%. Not people using plastic bags. Plastic bags are still used for throwing rubbish away, just as much as they were. Either that or people keep stinking sacks of black bin liners in their kitchens, or throw unbagged rubbish into their wheelie bins. I can't see either being an option.

They weren't free as they were factored onto the price of the goods on sale.

And now I have to pay the same plus buy bin liners as well

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 10:14 ----------

Not really, I don't expect free handouts. Free things are nice when they happen, but I certainly don't feel any entitlement towards them.

I must say I was surprised when they started giving them because I never expected free handouts either, but it was a way of advertising their store on the cheap I suppose. As I said I never expected anything but they started it.

Edited by spilldig

Its a thread for life ......sorry ;)

:hihi:

Never apologise for trying to give someone a giggle! :thumbsup:

And now I have to pay the same plus buy bin liners as well

---------- Post added 20-10-2015 at 10:14 ----------

I must say I was surprised when they started giving them because I never expected free handouts either, but it was a way of advertising their store on the cheap I suppose. As I said I never expected anything but they started it.

I used to re-use my carrier bags for rubbish. I'd then put them down the chute.

Many people re-used their bags too. I saw people a few years ago at the market re-using them.

It's a big con!

They weren't free as they were factored onto the price of the goods on sale.

So we can expect the price of my shopping to decrease can we? I am in favour of the charge in general, but I suspect bags were given out free as shops realised people would buy more if they knew they'd get free bags. Some posted on here saying that they take a certain number of bags and when they have enough stuff to fill them, they stop shopping. If only a small percentage did this the profits to the supermarkets would likely drop.

So we can expect the price of my shopping to decrease can we?

That's why it's a rip-off - we are paying twice!