5p charge for carrier bags

Option 4 is more convenient, more considerate, and reuses bags I've used anyway. Unless you can present a better option, I'll stick with it.

This is what we do too, when our stock pile of carriers has run out we'll be buying cheapo pedal bin liners and using them instead ;) for waste of course not shopping :hihi:

Yes, I clearly do struggle day to day, so help me out a little. Here are my options, perhaps you could add to them:

1) Empty food waste into kitchen bin and ignore the smell that inevitably occurs after 12 hours or so.

2) Empty food waste into the bin and empty it daily, using up one bin liner a day, to avoid the smell.

3) Empty food waste directly into wheelie bin, unbagged, making it more attractive to vermin and stinking out the neighbourhood.

4) Dispose of food waste separately each day in a smaller bag that's being reused as a by-product of impulse shopping.

Option 4 is more convenient, more considerate, and reuses bags I've used anyway. Unless you can present a better option, I'll stick with it.

Option 5...Keep a freezer drawer free and place all waste food into a bag, then pop it in the drawer. Keep filling the bag until the night prior to binmen, then take out and place in the bin. Job done...No smell, no maggots.

good lord reading these last dozen or so posts!! bizarre you lot really should get out more:roll::hihi::loopy: think of the children lol

If the environment (what an industry that has become) is the key thing in this then get rid of plastic bags completely, no exceptions. The supermarkets could then subsidise free viable replacement bags out of their massive profits, the shoppers are happy the environment is unendangered.

Please lets not kid ourselves.

good lord reading these last dozen or so posts!! bizarre you lot really should get out more:roll::hihi::loopy: think of the children lol

Over use of carrier bags is the least of our worries in the world.

Well done you!

I find shopping bags rubbish liners because they're far to small to line the bin, and they've got loads of holes in them so putting food in them means that there's chances that you'll end up with maggots in the bin.

Anyway, you can still use them as bin liners, nothing is stopping you. You just won't get them for free more.

You do know that you are allowed to clean your bin out, don't you?

You do know that you are allowed to clean your bin out, don't you?

The bin cleaners wash it out every time it's emptied, they even bring it back right to my door.

Over use of carrier bags is the least of our worries in the world.

It's not though is it. I worry about plastic bags and the way leatherback turtles eat them thinking they're food, more than I worry about quite a lot of other things.

And I worry about that maybe once every few years, should it be more?

http://onemoregeneration.org/2011/03/13/killer-plastic-bags-choke-rare-leatherback-sea-turtle/

If you expand the carrier bag 'extravagance' to other areas, the waste of resources on a planet of finite resources you might be able to glimpse a good reason why we should stop simply spinning oil into plastic and then dumping or burning it.

Pete, if your the type of person who bought bin bags then the new policy would probably reduce your plastic 'consumption' if not (like you and I) then it's just shifted it to a new form. asda used to deliver me so many items in plastic bags it was unreal say 20+ bags for a 50 item delivery, it's wasteful and indicative of our societies attitude in general. The charge is just a prod as the message clearly wasn't getting through.

Maybe the governments next step is to ensure we could compost and recycle more of our waste notjust those with profitability, maybe they will start a tax/push on plastic waste in all forms

Edited by psynuk

Yes, I clearly do struggle day to day, so help me out a little. Here are my options, perhaps you could add to them:

1) Empty food waste into kitchen bin and ignore the smell that inevitably occurs after 12 hours or so.

2) Empty food waste into the bin and empty it daily, using up one bin liner a day, to avoid the smell.

3) Empty food waste directly into wheelie bin, unbagged, making it more attractive to vermin and stinking out the neighbourhood.

4) Dispose of food waste separately each day in a smaller bag that's being reused as a by-product of impulse shopping.

Wow, I just don't know what to say!!!! :hihi:

Wow, I just don't know what to say!!!! :hihi:

Now there's a first! ;)

It's not though is it. I worry about plastic bags and the way leatherback turtles eat them thinking they're food, more than I worry about quite a lot of other things.

And I worry about that maybe once every few years, should it be more?

http://onemoregeneration.org/2011/03/13/killer-plastic-bags-choke-rare-leatherback-sea-turtle/

Funnily enough I don't actually throw them into the sea. They go into my black bin which is then emptied by a third party company subsidised by my council tax payments, who are then responsible for their correct disposal.