5p charge for carrier bags

When the charge for carrier bags comes in next month I thought this applied to supermarkets but was told today in Marks and Sprencer this applies to all Departments including clothes. In future whatever you spend in Marks you will be charged extra for a bag to put your purchases in. With suits and coats costing £100 plus I would have thought they could take the cost of the bag off at the till when you paid. The asssistand informed me that all the 5p's you paid for the bag was going to the Govt.?? So shops have to buy the bags, you pay 5p, the shop gives the Govt the 5p. So who is losing? the shop they bought the bags in the first place, I dont think she got the story right she was telling the customers

The whole point of a bag charge

Is that YOU BRING YOUR OWN

And not waste plastic, which is a limited resource

DO YOU GET IT YET :mad:

So it could be as high as 60p per person per year?

Oh Noes! We dont just have average shoppers on here. On one side they wnat to maon how hard done by they are, but on the other wont take any steps to easily avoid. It's hilarious.

So it could be as high as 60p per person per year?

For just the VAT element, yes.

Let's be clear though, I've been reusing bags for life for almost a decade and any carrier bags I do get are from impulse/convenience shops with no other option, which I then store away to be reused as waste bags (I don't want to put leftover dinner in my kitchen bin for up to a week). I'm also not going to miss 5p a bag. It's the principle more than anything - why should I be punished because some people are lazy or litter? It's a lot like the proposed "fat tax" or unit alcohol tax, where everyone loses out because of the actions of an irresponsible minority.

Let's be clear though, I've been reusing bags for life for almost a decade and any carrier bags I do get are from impulse/convenience shops with no other option, which I then store away to be reused as waste bags (I don't want to put leftover dinner in my kitchen bin for up to a week). I'm also not going to miss 5p a bag. It's the principle more than anything - why should I be punished because some people are lazy or litter? It's a lot like the proposed "fat tax" or unit alcohol tax, where everyone loses out because of the actions of an irresponsible minority.

Why would leftovers be sat in your kitchen bin for over a week? Some bizarre arguments are being put forward to counter the 5p per bag "situation".

Why are you being punished? Bags didnt use to be free, now they arent again. You dont have a right to free bags. Go on a march with Pete and start blockading the HMRC.

Why would leftovers be sat in your kitchen bin for over a week? Some bizarre arguments are being put forward to counter the 5p per bag "situation".

It's quite simple... leftovers either get emptied into a big kitchen bin to stink until it's empty, or into a small carrier bag to take out to the wheelie bin. It's called reusing bags, and I didn't need a 5p charge to do it.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 21:43 ----------

Why are you being punished? Bags didnt use to be free, now they arent again. You dont have a right to free bags. Go on a march with Pete and start blockading the HMRC.

I'm too young to remember if/when they were free. Something was free for me and now it isn't. The reason is because some people irresponsibly litter bags. I don't litter. Instead of fining people who do, they effectively force shops to do it for them and apply the fine to everyone.

It's quite simple... leftovers either get emptied into a big kitchen bin to stink until it's empty, or into a small carrier bag to take out to the wheelie bin. It's called reusing bags, and I didn't need a 5p charge to do it.

Have you thought about emptying the bin before it starts to smell?

Have you thought about emptying the bin before it starts to smell?

So emptying a bin daily, with a huge black bin liner, is more eco friendly than just bagging up the smelly stuff each day? Ok.

So emptying a bin daily, with a huge black bin liner, is more eco friendly than just bagging up the smelly stuff each day? Ok.

You really are a black or white person, it's everything or nothing isn't it!

You really are a black or white person, it's everything or nothing isn't it!

That's the nature of emptying a bin. It would still smell if you only partially emptied it.

Seriously, I don't understand how getting through more big black bin liners can be more environmentally friendly than reusing carrier bags. I suppose I could take plates and bowls outside and scrape directly into the wheelie bin, but the neighbours might have something to say.

That's the nature of emptying a bin. It would still smell if you only partially emptied it.

Seriously, I don't understand how getting through more big black bin liners can be more environmentally friendly than reusing carrier bags. I suppose I could take plates and bowls outside and scrape directly into the wheelie bin, but the neighbours might have something to say.

My point was you have more choices than either waiting for your bin to smell or emptying it every day. Seriously how do you manage to live your life if you're struggling with such routine day to day stuff?

My point was you have more choices than either waiting for your bin to smell or emptying it every day. Seriously how do you manage to live your life if you're struggling with such routine day to day stuff?

Yes, I clearly do struggle day to day, so help me out a little. Here are my options, perhaps you could add to them:

1) Empty food waste into kitchen bin and ignore the smell that inevitably occurs after 12 hours or so.

2) Empty food waste into the bin and empty it daily, using up one bin liner a day, to avoid the smell.

3) Empty food waste directly into wheelie bin, unbagged, making it more attractive to vermin and stinking out the neighbourhood.

4) Dispose of food waste separately each day in a smaller bag that's being reused as a by-product of impulse shopping.

Option 4 is more convenient, more considerate, and reuses bags I've used anyway. Unless you can present a better option, I'll stick with it.