5p charge for carrier bags

I read the proceeds go to the supermarkets themselves.

whether they donate the money to charity or not is entirely voluntary.

The following happened in 2012, perhaps it may happen even more now.

Shopping Basket

:huh:

Well if it does, they could always replace the baskets by making customers use some of the surplus old carrier bags they now can't get rid of... :idea:

tesco use to give clubcard points for you to reuse bags, now they longer do. This would have given people more insentive. End of day though 5p isn't going to change my life, and the money goes to charity anyway.

Blimey! Don't know what all the fuss is about! They used to charge 5p for carrier bags years ago and nobody complained!

Bit of a bonus this for me.......I don't have a car and whenever I "pop" to the supermarket on the tram....I come back laden down like a pack horse with up to 6 carrier bags of shopping I didn't really need - all those bargains and all that.

I won't be paying the Tory Bag Tax....so now I have TWO carriers folded in my woman bag.............and that's my lot. Whatever doesn't fit won't get bought. I'm going to be quids in. :P

I read the proceeds go to the supermarkets themselves.

whether they donate the money to charity or not is entirely voluntary.

Yep:

Sainsbury's uses legal loophole to keep part of new 5p 'charity' charge for plastic bags

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11915704/Sainsburys-uses-legal-loophole-to-keep-part-of-new-5p-charity-charge-for-plastic-bags.html

But more fool anyone who shops there. They're always dearer than the others.

Yep:

Sainsbury's uses legal loophole to keep part of new 5p 'charity' charge for plastic bags

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11915704/Sainsburys-uses-legal-loophole-to-keep-part-of-new-5p-charity-charge-for-plastic-bags.html

Seems reasonable to me. They charge 5p for a sturdy re-usable bag and offer free replacements when it wears out. Just like they've always done, the only difference is that they have completely removed the naff, flimsy bags.

Yep:

SEEEEEEEEEEEEE! This is what I was saying a few pages back. :shakes:

Yep:

According to your link, they aren't making any profit from them, they are donating any profits to charity, and not because they have to, voluntarily.

Seems reasonable to me. They charge 5p for a sturdy re-usable bag and offer free replacements when it wears out. Just like they've always done, the only difference is that they have completely removed the naff, flimsy bags.

Doesn't sound reasonable to me because I used to get a naff flimsy bag for nothing and now thank,s to a meddling Liberal, I don,t any longer.