M1 roadworks (Leeds and Chesterfield)

In my 27 years of work, I've worked in live traffic setting out works, I've worked on motorways next to full speed and reduced 50mph traffic, I've shifted cones, I've pulled rope, I've been nearly killed a few times. So yes, I've an idea of what it's like to work on the motorway and other fast roads.

It's good then to hear that someone with real world experience of working on fast roads has had their input into the design of it.

The motorway is an awful place to work, I would say it's the most dangerous place I have ever been with the greatest chance of ever being killed.

Whether it's closing a lane for roadworks with the help of a crash cushion or assisting a stranded motorist in a live lane, I can't think of a more dangerous place to be.

Throughout all this debate, I know that in the planning it all revolves around numbers, that being the cost in numbers and the current/past data from different sources, and that is used to make a decision. Evidence from those on the front line isn't, no matter what is said.

Not everything gets reported Haydn, you will know that, but then I know that you can only work with the figures your given.

I'm not intending to come across as I don't care what your saying, but no figures are going to make me believe it will be any safer without a hard shoulder. Just what I feel based on my experiences.

I don't know if everyone is expecting me to be told some facts and figures about how safe it will be, to then turn round and say 'oh well, figures say it will be safer so it must be'... Maybe I should have done that in the first place rather than trying to fight my corner...

---------- Post added 30-09-2015 at 14:07 ----------

So what happens now when the only way to an incident is the "wrong" way? It does happen..If the accident happens N bound then the emergency services can approach from the southbound and close lanes/ stop traffic when they get to scene..you talk as though this is untried and untested..

Are you saying they travel the wrong way along a motorway into oncoming traffic to then close it?

Another example, the fatal a few years ago in West Yorkshire involving the minibus that suffered a power failure and was crawling up the M62 as the hard shoulder was coned off for roadworks. HGV Drives into the minibus and unfortunately people are killed and seriously injured.

If that is the one at J32, then given the driver had previously stopped on the A1 to look under the bonnet for problems, even if the the hard shoulder had been not coned off, it seems unlikely to have pulled over - my understanding also is that the hard shoulder was simply coned with rope and not fully closed out with barrier - the driver of the minibus had also just driven passed a slip road and opportunity to exit the motorway.

I've recently completed some collision study work on the M11, one collision stood out, a double fatal, with several serious injuries and IIRC 55 injured persons in total. What happened ? A HGV ploughed into the rear of a coach stationary on the hard shoulder. Hard shoulders safe ? I'm not convinced, especially when hard shoulder collisions account for 8% of all fatals on motorways.

Are you saying they travel the wrong way along a motorway into oncoming traffic to then close it?

Errr... no I'm not... what makes you think that?

My favourite M1 roadworks sign has to be:

Sign Not In Use

I once worked on a site in Islington, London and removed the following sign:

In Case of Fire - Call Fire Brigade

I think the former wins it.

Rant rant rant !

It has just taken me more than 2 hours to get home from Halifax.

Between junction 42 and Junction 35 (inclusive) there were 4 detours off the M1

4 in 7 junctions!

Booo.

Sleep time now.

Rant rant rant !

4 in 7 junctions!

Booo.

Sleep time now.

There were closures on the roundabout at J42, full closure J40-39 and at J37 between the slips, where was the 4th?

Rant rant rant !

4 in 7 junctions!

Booo.

Sleep time now.

not sure where you are going too but if I was leaving Halifax at that time, I'd most likely come back through Huddersfield and along the a629, it would probably be far faster under normal conditions let alone the ones you describe

There were closures on the roundabout at J42, full closure J40-39 and at J37 between the slips, where was the 4th?

Junction 35

I suppose you'd have to look at the statistics and how these accidents happened, compared to accidents occurring on hard shoulders...

---------- Post added 30-09-2015 at 13:14 ----------

By coming down the motorway (which is closed) in the wrong direction from the next junction I'd assume.

I think if you want to reduce road deaths, we should have a policeman on every small country lane to slow traffic down.

Why are you not complaining about the lack of policemen on country roads if you really want to cut road deaths down. :hihi::hihi:

I wasn't complaining about the lack of police anywhere, or trying to find a way to cut down road deaths. So what are you talking about?

oh? You feel it's irrelevant to the thread? Please accept my humblest apologies.

No, I didn't say it's irrelevant, I said it was unrelated to anything I'd said.

Unlike benefits abuse and tax avoidance which are quite clearly related.

You were trying to read my mind though, when you guessed at what I want to do.