A rhetorical Question

Have you never heard of Google?

(That's a type of rhetorical question that requires a question mark at the end.)

Do Rhetorical Questions Need a Question Mark?

Haven't I heard of Google!

Who's he?

This annoys me too. It's called "up-speak" apparently and started off with teenagers trying to imitate Americans but has become much more widespread - I get to endure it from middle aged corporate bores. To me it doesn't sound like they're confused, it just sounds like they're sheep with zero individuality and nothing worthwhile to say anyway.

I always thought it was antipodean?

I think you'll find you're referring to Australians there.

They always put an inflection on the last word to make it sound like a question, as in these examples:

'Help! … Skippy's been stung by a rattlesnake?'

'By dingum, cobbler … that Foster's is warm!?'

'Bad news boys ... Skippy's been jumping too high again and has now been decapitated by the park ranger's chopper?'

'Oi! … hands off cobbler! That's my Vegemite!?'

See what I mean?

An excellent response but,I'm afraid,incorrect in one small detail. You can't get stung by a rattlesnake,or any other snake for that matter. You get stang off of a rattlesnake.

An excellent response but,I'm afraid,incorrect in one small detail. You can't get stung by a rattlesnake,or any other snake for that matter. You get stang off of a rattlesnake.

Struth … fair dinkum cobbler?

Although I know a Pommie who got stung by a rattlesnake for a Holden with a blown head gasket?

Are there any English teachers out there? And if so can you answer me a couple of ( for you ) simple questions?

Is it usual to put a ? At the end of a rhetorical question?

And like I did at the beginning ask two questions in on sentence use one or two?

And I'll get it over with before anybody else says it. Is this a rhetorical question?

Its the kind of thing one learns in school. Yes always put a ? at the end of a question.

Its the kind of thing one learns in school. Yes always put a ? at the end of a question.

And an apostrophe in its ... and a comma after 'Yes'.

An excellent response! Well thought out and written.

Apart from.

Have you read the link from Vague Boy? Thanks for that Vague boy.

School! That's a distant memory for me, I've even forgotten some of the things we did on nuclear fusion, advanced calculus and some of the passages from the complete works of Shakespeare.

I do apologise for wasting your valuable time with my original questions, and I now realise I really shouldn't be trying to learn anything at my age. I'm so ashamed of myself.

Thanks for your reply, you've restored my faith in the education system.

It's been nice talking to you but I really must go now, she's shouting me and I'm teaching a class later at the Adlut edicution crentire.

you have an 11 year old kid ?

You're a lot older than I expected !

why? haha.. how old did you think I was? :hihi:

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 10:02 ----------

This annoys me too. It's called "up-speak" apparently and started off with teenagers trying to imitate Americans but has become much more widespread - I get to endure it from middle aged corporate bores. To me it doesn't sound like they're confused, it just sounds like they're sheep with zero individuality and nothing worthwhile to say anyway.

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 21:59 ----------

An "82" at the end of a username would suggest age 33 to me.

Good try but the 82 doesn't represent my birth year! 82 was the age of my nan when I first joined in 2012 :)

and I agree with what you say in regards to that awful 'up speak'!

Edited by Chelle-82

An excellent response! Well thought out and written.

Apart from.

Have you read the link from Vague Boy? Thanks for that Vague boy.

School! That's a distant memory for me, I've even forgotten some of the things we did on nuclear fusion, advanced calculus and some of the passages from the complete works of Shakespeare.

I do apologise for wasting your valuable time with my original questions, and I now realise I really shouldn't be trying to learn anything at my age. I'm so ashamed of myself.

Thanks for your reply, you've restored my faith in the education system.

It's been nice talking to you but I really must go now, she's shouting me and I'm teaching a class later at the Adlut edicution crentire.

Happy to help

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 09:10 ----------

Brain of a champion, face like a dropped pie.

....*scratches head*

....you didn't put a comma after your 'yes' :suspect:

....*scratches head*

....you didn't put a comma after your 'yes' :suspect:

You didn't put a full stop after your " 'yes' ".

You didn't put a full stop after your " 'yes' ".

You didn't put a capital letter on your Yes. Also two sets of quotation marks. You need only one.