The kids are back in town!

Over subscribed facilities and weeing on war memorials... Welcome students to sheffield:cool:

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 10:44 ----------

Forget the rankings... Students get a real education in Sheffield.

A lot stay, it's cheaper than down south. If they can get work that is.

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 10:45 ----------

Sheffield is very lucky in having two great Universities. People can try to talk it down by listing the rankings, but both still do pretty well and Sheffield University is a member of the small and prestigious Russell group. Hardly any Universities in the UK do well in the international rankings and I wonder at the motivation in trying to talk the City down in this way. I would actively advise students to stay away from areas like Gleadless, which, I believe, even some Supermarket delivery services avoid. Let the kids enjoy their studies and their stay here. And the miserable gits who moan about having to slow down to let the young newcomers cross the road try to remember what it is like to be 18 and in a strange city. The Universities add an extra dimension to Sheffield, if we did not have them, we would be just like Rotherham. So, stop moaning to the moaners and if you are jealous of our young friends, try getting out more and enjoying yourselves.

Why do students need to integrate, no understand. You've got enough on your plate making friends, doing the course and getting drunk.

Do tell.

Given your odd view of them, I thought that you were unlikely to interact with any of them at all... But now I'm intrigued.

I cant, this is a family forum and it might not go down well!!!

I came to Sheffield as a fresh faced teenager back in 1988 and stayed ever since.

Sheffield would be considerably duller without the students as well as poorer.

Sheff is a student city, like or not.

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 10:48 ----------

Ok its a given that students bring money to the city, thats undisputed

But you would think someone who has moved to a city to love would at least try and make some attempt to integrate

Ask a student who has lived in Sheffield for two years if they know where some where like waterthorpe is or gleadless , they would look like you were from a different planet

I'd have to consult a map for waterthorpe. Gleadless is somewhere one might live if a graduate on dole. All in good time.

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 10:50 ----------

I'm just looking at the Suburbs of Sheffield, there's quite a few I've never been to. I don't know where a couple of them actually are.

Most areas in Sheff I don't want to frequent. Passing through is enough.

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 10:55 ----------

To be fair when I first moved to Sheffield I didn't know where Waterthorpe or Gleadless were. Universities tend to concentrate housing and teaching centres in the S10 S11 areas, and conveniently for students lots of pubs are round that area.

It would be nice if both Universities moved their facilities to other areas, it might free up a bit of space in the s10 & s11 areas which are densely populated.

Don't think there's any reason for students to go to any other post codes except S10 and s11. S7 and s8 if feeling adventurous. Peak District when ready.

S1 if after a fight or anti social behaviour or to attend lectures. The rest is meh.

S1 if after a fight or anti social behaviour or to attend lectures. The rest is meh.
You love the old "anti-social behaviour" stigma don't you!

Anti-social this, anti-social that. Personally I find a refusal to frequent areas with large concentrations of humans quite "anti-social".

I cant, this is a family forum and it might not go down well!!!

Well, I for one totally believe you. :rolleyes:

You love the old "anti-social behaviour" stigma don't you!

Anti-social this, anti-social that. Personally I find a refusal to frequent areas with large concentrations of humans quite "anti-social".

Peace and love to you my friend. I'm having a no argument week. Spreading only good vibes and cheer :love:

Well, I for one totally believe you. :rolleyes:

Good, :) :) freshers just need some education!

Peace and love to you my friend. I'm having a no argument week. Spreading only good vibes and cheer :love:
Fair do's, and to you. :love:

Students spend a lot of time in S1 of course, and they aren't being or seeing any anti-social behaviour.

They probably also visit S6, since Walkley is pretty studenty near commonside.

Fair do's, and to you. :love:

Now that's what I'm talking about :love:

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 12:43 ----------

Students spend a lot of time in S1 of course, and they aren't being or seeing any anti-social behaviour.

They probably also visit S6, since Walkley is pretty studenty near commonside.

S6 is a fine student area also.

Maybe you should observe carnage?

Do they still run that? I thought it had been stopped like pyjama jump.

It's one night of the year though, you're claiming that S1, the city centre filled with a hundred thousand people every day is some sort of no go zone though.

Do they still run that? I thought it had been stopped like pyjama jump.

It's one night of the year though, you're claiming that S1, the city centre filled with a hundred thousand people every day is some sort of no go zone though.

you dont see people drunk and spewing on west street? used to see all the time.