Fishing on the don

Thinking of fishing the river don when im next through from deepest darkest lancashire :help: not fished it for 10 years and have been told there is some great sport to be had. always loved the stretch at oughtibridge where the park is. is there still good fishing to be had there and do i need a day ticket or permit to fish this stretch? if so where do i purchase the ticket/permit? many thanks.

Don't know about Oughtibridge; last time I looked over the wall all I saw were more rats than you could shake a stick at!

I looked in the pond/dam/millrace outside Kelham Island brewery back in the summer and it was teeming. No idea about permits, sorry.

Thinking of fishing the river don when im next through from deepest darkest lancashire :help: not fished it for 10 years and have been told there is some great sport to be had. always loved the stretch at oughtibridge where the park is. is there still good fishing to be had there and do i need a day ticket or permit to fish this stretch? if so where do i purchase the ticket/permit? many thanks.

I used to work at the Paper mill further upstream , the fish there are huge , they even came up for coloured ear plugs then spat them back out.

I've fished the don years ago and some good fishing to he had. especially where the ACE or SYAC building is. also done outibridge and had some good size trout

Thanks, not keen on rats so might well give that particular stretch the wide berth lol. the paper mill sounds like it might be worth a visit. i keep reading how the don in and around sheffield is producing some great fish. i remember back in the late 70's where rats wouldnt even swim in it it was that dirty. great to hear the river is clean and producing nice fish. will post how we get on later in week as thinking of going thursday and friday

downstream from the bridge at Oughtibridge there are some very nice runs

although I was there a few weeks ago & the water was quite low & therefore almost static in places - not great if you're trotting!

from Oughti all the way down thru Beeley woods are some good swims, it's mosty wild brown trout, with a good head of grayling, but I've also been getting a lot of perch in the 4-8oz category, and the odd 2-3lb chub

so far I've not had any roach, dace or barbel on this stretch although I know there are more downstream, especially through Attercliffe, Salmon Pastures stretch

in addition, I was sat in traffic on the bridge upstream of Meadowhall one evening this week & that looks a nice stretch - although again, a lack of flow at the moment (I'd probably walk upstream from Meadowhell though, rather than be pestered by the shoppers)

I think all the rats have been exterminated now at Oughtibridge. Its free fishing downstream and also upstream- both the park on on one bank and the sports field on the other. Full of trout, grayling, the odd nice chub, a few perch and very occssional dace. There are barbel but Ive not caught any (yet!). Not much flow at the moment, it needs a good flush through.

I am thinking of going fishing on the Don at neepsend tomorrow as I went for a walk down there with the Grandkids&the looks to be a few nice swims down there, down past the dog track&up towards the back of Bassetts. Ha anybody been down recently? I have fished a few different stretches of the Don over the years&have always done well with worm I am wondering if its much the same?

I always use maggot for the grayling, although caster works well too. Loosefeeding plenty seems to bring the chub into the swim, if they are any around. Not tried worm but meat is the bait for the barbel, I'm told.

I always use maggot for the grayling, although caster works well too. Loosefeeding plenty seems to bring the chub into the swim, if they are any around. Not tried worm but meat is the bait for the barbel, I'm told.

Thanks for your reply.