Ivy - Magical or malicious?

We are about to view a house that has ivy growing all the way up the front of it. Is this a big deal? Would it put you off?

Basically, I'd love if you could share all the information you have :D

I lived in a place that had lots of Ivy growing on it when I was growing up, it looked really nice.

I remember a mix of green and red ivy.

It can causes issues though, so do some research on what to look for and inspect the property thoroughly.

It depends on whether you like it. If you do and you wish to keep it then you will have to commit to prune at least once a year. You or your husband will need to be ok with climbing ladders because it needs to be cut back around windows and gutters, the latter being particularly important to prevent damp in the house.

If you don't like ivy and wish to remove it then be prepared for some repointing because it can pull some of the mortar out. To some extent that depends on the type of ivy and how long it has been in situ. If your husband is handy with a trowel this shouldn't cost much. If not, you may need to factor in the cost of a builder. Taking it down will also probably leave the brickwork rather messy because tendrils are usually left behind. A stiff wire brush should help to get these out.

I take it you did not proceed with the last house you posted about in Winterton? Was your offer turned down or did you change your mind?

Edited by Jomie

The offer was rejected.

We prefer this one though :-)

Thank you for the advice again