Sky Fibre Broadband in Sharrow?

Is there anybody out there who could advise where I can find out when Sky will be offering Fibre broadband in the Sharrow exchange.

BT Infinity has been available for 12 months plus but Sky don't currently offer it yet and can't / won't tell me.

It must be on a plan somewhere

Maybe BT has the monopoly & won't open up to other businesses (Openreach ?? thats a joke!)

Aky only offer fiber where they have their own equipment installed, or have a deal with another provider for the area... your best bet is just to phone sky and have a chat...

They must be dragging their feet then as according to SamKnows they do have LLU at Sharrow so it should be a minor upgrade to support Fibre.

They must be dragging their feet then as according to SamKnows they do have LLU at Sharrow so it should be a minor upgrade to support Fibre.

Just because the OP lives at Sharrow, doesn't mean they are on the Sharrow exchange..... :)

Why is it so important to get Sky Fibre??

Surely if you want fibre that bad you'd get BT, then after 12 months switch to another supplier if you really feel you need to.

From my experience Fibre broadband is tons more reliable than ADSL

Just because the OP lives at Sharrow, doesn't mean they are on the Sharrow exchange..... :)

Seeing as the question was "when Sky will be offering Fibre broadband in the Sharrow exchange", I don't see how your point is relevant.

Now perhaps we should be asking them if they are sure they are actually on the Sharrow exchange, but that is not what they asked.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I don't live in Sharrow but I am connected to the Sharrow Exchange via street cabinet 42 - I've had a chat with Sky to no avail - BT have made nationwide announcement today about improving speeds but by 2020

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34324046

I suspect the failure of 'The Digital Region project' in 2013 (cost £40M) now being brought back in the guise of 'Sheffield City Region Combined Authority' (cost = £22M?) is now a catch up situation.

BT appears to hold all the cards i.e. the monopoly for now - And yes, you would think it amounts to a minor exchange/cabinet upgrade.

The question is with Sky because you'd think they stood to gain a significant business opportunity if were that simple.

Politics & money are the probable cause of the problem.

BT Openreach should be a separate company maybe?

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 16:31 ----------

CORRECTION

The Superfast South Yorkshire project is the latest strategy....

http://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/syprojects/sybroadband/

"South Yorkshire Broadband

In September 2014, South Yorkshire joined forces with BT in a multi-million pound deal to extend the availability of high-speed, fibre broadband to around 98 per cent of homes and businesses.

The Superfast South Yorkshire project will make South Yorkshire an even more attractive place to live and do business, bringing new investment to the region and generating an economic return of more than £270 million.

The project will cost £22 million, to be funded jointly by BT, Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) and South Yorkshire partners. South Yorkshire partners are the four local authorities of Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster. A significant measure of the programme’s success will be driving awareness of the benefits offered by fibre broadband and adoption of this high-speed broadband technology."

Still doesn't explain why you can't get Fibre with another provider??

Unless its a mistake and Infinity is NOT available on that cabinet?

Perhaps you could try asking Origin what their system says about it? Just to get feedback from another ISP that should be available.

BT Infinity is available but nowt else (other than regular broadband) it transpires ...you see thats why I'm surprised Sky Broadband is not available ...essentially all the infrastructure is there!

I've had BT infinity for 12 months from this cabinet so I know that its there ....

Could you please clarify who or what 'Origin' is? AlexAtkin ...thanks

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 18:43 ----------

Why is it so important to get Sky Fibre??

Surely if you want fibre that bad you'd get BT, then after 12 months switch to another supplier if you really feel you need to.

From my experience Fibre broadband is tons more reliable than ADSL

2nd

"Still doesn't explain why you can't get Fibre with another provider??"

Geared - you two comments show my frustration ... yes fibre is indeed badly wanted & no, it doesn't explain why - hence, that it is a my assumption BT Openreach and BT being one and same company hold a monopoly.

Do you know of anywhere I can get answers to my enquiry?

Edited by Ethermax

Origin Broadband, they claim to also be available on Sharrow and they launched with Fibre not ADSL so if it says an exchange is Origin enabled, it means Fibre.

If they say no then it would suggest there is something blocking ISPs ability to re-sell fibre on our cabinet for some reason.

I'm connected to the sharrow exchange also and have just done a sky fibre check and it does say its available, out of interest I did a talktalk check too and that says its not. Must admit, that is a bit confusing :suspect: