Registering For Primary School

Apologies if there is already a thread on this elsewhere...

My son will be starting primary school next year, but when I checked online recently school applications were not yet open for 2016. I am checking every other day, but does anyone know the date, or rough time of year, when applications will start being taken?

Demand for school places is getting higher and higher each year and I don't want my child to miss out on our preferred choice.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Are they done on a first come first served? I thought there were admissions criteria to satisfy? eg catchment area/sibling already in that school etcetc. Just curious really..

I think catchment area and siblings give you an advantage but I don't believe they are essential. We are well within the catchment area for all 3 of our choices so we tick that box. He doesn't have any siblings at any of them, but his Auntie and Uncle currently attend our first choice school (I doubt that will count for anything though).

I'm not really sure if there is a "first come first served" aspect to it at all, I just want it done and dusted so I can stop fretting over it!

You will get a letter well in advanced of the application system opening. How early you apply has no effect. The letter will have your log in details for the online site. I believe that it may be the end of the month when the letters go out.

As others have said. it doesn't matter if you apply on the day they start accepting them or the last day, they don't look at any of them until after that, it's not first come, first served. The criteria starts with children with particular needs (SEN, foster kids etc), kids with siblings at the same school, catchment, etc etc. It's been a while since I filled the form in but I'm sure it's November-ish? You get a letter!

x

I think catchment area and siblings give you an advantage but I don't believe they are essential. We are well within the catchment area for all 3 of our choices so we tick that box. He doesn't have any siblings at any of them, but his Auntie and Uncle currently attend our first choice school (I doubt that will count for anything though).

I'm not really sure if there is a "first come first served" aspect to it at all, I just want it done and dusted so I can stop fretting over it!

Living in the 'catchment area' doesn't necessarily mean you child will get into the school - it all depends upon so much more these days.

Good luck anyway.

I think it opens sometime in October - you should get some information through the post and there will also be up to date information on the council website for 2016 entry.

As others have said, it doesn't matter how early you get your application in - they are all treated equally (according to the standard criteria of SEN, catchment, siblings etc) up to the closing date in January.

Good luck!

we've had a letter from my sons school, inviting us to a day in school to fill in the application forms online for the new starters wanting to attend that school. The date they have set is the 7th October so i presume the application forms will be available on or around that date. Hope that helps

I got my letter to register my daughter for this years intake on the 6th October last year so I presume it will be sent out on the same (or near enough) date this year. You have 2 months to fill in and return or register online. Online is really easy and quick too.

Question on this - we travel from the Crosspool area regularly, and on the 51, there are literally dozens of kids that I can only assume must go to Tapton or King Edwards, but they all seem to live in other areas of the city.

How's that possible? Do catchments mean that little now?