Retirement Living

Can anyone suggest a really GOOD place to live? Ideally from personal experience. I need to make a decision soon-and -to be frank-are quite bewildered by whats out there. Thanks in anticipation:love:

Can anyone suggest a really GOOD place to live? Ideally from personal experience. I need to make a decision soon-and -to be frank-are quite bewildered by whats out there. Thanks in anticipation:love:

Get yourself a detached bungalow in a semi rural area like Handsworth . Asda 52 bus route magic lived here 20 years magic :love:

Keep away from flats load of trouble in every way

Edited by spider1

You need to give more information, e.g. age, disability (if any), access to a car, lifestyle/hobbies, town/country preferences, budget. Without information, the replies will be member's personal preferences and conjecture - not really helpful. You will remain bewildered unless you make a list of things that you are looking for in a new property. Only you know what is important.

I am a 69 year old man living in a rural location with very few facilities.I have a car (necessity) and no disabilities (thank God). My property would fetch around 250K. It is far too big for me to maintain. Actually-it was personal preferences I was looking for- posters own experiences. Whats most important to me are friends and social support. Thats why I was thinking of a flat/sheltered accommodation etc. The attraction of a Retirement Development to me would be the communal aspect. However-I am mindful to the dangers-as outlined by Spider. Also- once you buy-for e.g.- a MaCarthy and Stone flat-you are virtually trapped into paying about 700 a month as maintenance charges etc. I do not want to be isolated- I would like to be part of a community. All other things are secondary to my mind. Thank you all for your replies. John

It sounds like you are making a sensible decision in moving now while you are well enough to cope with the upheaval. Regarding the retirement homes, if you are of a sociable nature then they seem a good choice. The maintenance charge could be a problem but think what you are getting - trouble free living. Also, check to see exactly what it includes.

Remember that if you do become unwell and need support you would probably be able to remain in your own home for that bit longer and in more comfort. However, it would mean a huge change from what you are used to.

Bearing that in mind, you might be better off looking for a bungalow with a small garden. We have one and have spent money on making it as maintenance free as possible. The problem with ours is that it is a ten to fifteen minute walk uphill to the local bus route and this is getting harder for us. Fortunately we have a car but we would struggle without it.

My advice is to look for a bungalow in an area of Sheffield that is relatively flat and for a property that is on the bus route or within a five minute level walk.

There might be something suitable in Rotherham too - check on Right Move. However, bungalows tend to get snapped up, probably because there are not many on sale.

If you choose an area that has a lot of bungalows there will probably be a high pensioner population whereas if there are houses around there will likely be a mix of age groups.

Hi Vantastic. Thanks for your link. I've taken a look and must say-I am pretty interested!! These look ideal for my needs- as they are part of a self-contained village-even located within the confines of a city-with all its amenities to hand. I presume they are all on bus routes to town- and you do have neighbours- who are in the same age group. They are competitively riced-seem easy to maintain. Yes- its looking good! Thank you!

Hi Vantastic. Thanks for your link. I've taken a look and must say-I am pretty interested!! These look ideal for my needs- as they are part of a self-contained village-even located within the confines of a city-with all its amenities to hand. I presume they are all on bus routes to town- and you do have neighbours- who are in the same age group. They are competitively riced-seem easy to maintain. Yes- its looking good! Thank you!

Extracare in woodhouse. Well run, lots of social stuff. http://www.extracare.org.uk/locations/brunswick-gardens-village

@Carolo - moving into a retirement complex from your current situation is a huge change, not least because you will lose some degree of privacy. If you are of a gregarious nature and are looking for something where there are people around you all the time then it may be suitable. Only you know if you could manage it. Best to have a good look and talk to residents first.

Thanks Jomie. I hear what you say-and I am mindful of the huge change in my life this move would cause. I just don't want to end up as a single man living on his own able to do less and less until events overtake them and they are forcibly removed to some kind of accomodation. I have seen enough 'Heir Hunters" programmes to be very worried!!

Yes, you are absolutely right. I admire your foresight and wish you well with the move, should you make it. :)

Quite useful flats on Ecclesall Road South, at Fitzwilliam Court (just up from Prince of Wales PH).

Resident caretaker covered by service charges.