S11 postal sorting office

The sorting office a nice building too, although unlisted. What will its fate be once closed?

I've never had a problem parking outside or near to the sorting office. Even if you can't park right outside the door there's plenty of nearby parking at the Co-op over the road.

I get a lot of parcels and a lot of cards telling me to pick them up from the sorting office. I's going to be a real inconvenience having to go to Pond Street to pick them up.

There is also the option to have your parcel re-delivered to your local Post Office for pick-up, but won't they be overwhelmed and not have the storage space?

I'll certainly start asking for them to be forwarded to a Post Office. A little inconvenient to have to contact them to do it, but still a lot better than going into town.

Checked up on this today as I know someone who works there. He said he has never known a Royal Mail van get a ticket and he's been there for years! Also he says the office in Pond st is already struggling to cope with all the vans that are there now so there does not appear to be room there.

the DOM must be telling porkies in the meetings then.

At the end of the day it is a cost cutting measure, as mentioned previously Royal Mail is now a private company, as such it has to make a profit.

Paying for rent for a building, in a costly area, such as S11 when they have room in a building they own they will look to make a saving.

I remember when this forum was full of people going on about how Royal Mail would be so much better when privatised, this type of thing will become the norm , delivery offices merging etc.

Just wait until a delivery every other day comes along, that'll cause uproar but will save the company millions.

the DOM must be telling porkies in the meetings then.

At the end of the day it is a cost cutting measure, as mentioned previously Royal Mail is now a private company, as such it has to make a profit.

Paying for rent for a building, in a costly area, such as S11 when they have room in a building they own they will look to make a saving.

I remember when this forum was full of people going on about how Royal Mail would be so much better when privatised, this type of thing will become the norm , delivery offices merging etc.

Just wait until a delivery every other day comes along, that'll cause uproar but will save the company millions.

It makes sense to cut costs. But there will be a cost if a lot of people demand that parcels be redirected to a local post office.

No- there's a statutory obligation to deliver everywhere every day (NSu).

"Universal Service Delivery", I think it's called.

No- there's a statutory obligation to deliver everywhere every day (NSu).

"Universal Service Delivery", I think it's called.

USO, 'universal service obligation' - but that could change through an act of Parliament if there comes a time where RM can no longer fulfil the USO from a financial point of view.

The sorting office a nice building too, although unlisted. What will its fate be once closed?

Either another estate agent or another coffee house!!!!!!!

USO, 'universal service obligation' - but that could change through an act of Parliament if there comes a time where RM can no longer fulfil the USO from a financial point of view.

http://postandparcel.info/68372/news/ofcom-agrees-to-royal-mails-request-for-boxing-day-uso-exception/

And so it begins.............................

Won't parcels go to the Crosspool sorting office instead of Pond Street?

You can't begrudge the posties having Boxing Day off if it falls on a Saturday. There must be a lot of them that have to go in during the early hours right after Christmas day. I never noticed that there was a post on Boxing day even when I lived in the Sheffield metropolis. Now I'm thinking about it I wouldn't care if the normal post only came on one day a week.

Won't parcels go to the Crosspool sorting office instead of Pond Street?

To put it simply; No!

I apologise if I have missed something but why not? It seems obvious to me to use Crosspool instead of Pond Street to replace Ecclesall Road.