www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

What a great response from fellow Sheffielders, all trying to help find out whats wrong with http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk !

Its very important we get this up and running because one day many people might want to be able to send their children to the site so they have an idea of what happened in Sheffield many years ago. It could be used by Sheffield schools also to educate pupils about the city and its past

If the site owners allowed it, interested parties could send in articles of political or historical significance about Sheffield. Not to be exhibited as deadly accurate, but at least something that other interested people might want to know about and form their own opinions.

I sometimes wonder if this site should be in private hands ? With something as important as this, could a group like Sheffield Libraries operate it ? Again the Council would need to show an interest in going in this direction.

I am surprised that the Council don't check out such sites on a regular basis, and take action if they are not working ?

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 17:34 ----------

message to "Me and Pippo"

I would be grateful for anything you could do to get all of us "Looking in from the outside" into the Sheffieldhistory site.

There appears to be quite a few.

Not sure how I send a private message

I use the site and posted a message to the admin last Month and I thought that they had sorted it out. I had trouble getting back on myself after the update but finally managed it.

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 12:44 ----------

If anyone is a regular to http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk is, can you tell me what the secret is to reaching them ? I have tried continually but it just comes back to "You have failed the security test." The security test by the way is what is 10+19 ?

I am sure 29 is the right answer but the site continues to say no.

Even when you try to contact them it asks the same security question, but they don't like the answer 29 !!! So not possible to contact them at all.

Glen are you a member of the site already or a new member ? If you are already a member clear your cookies or cache on your pc or tablet then try again. That's what I had to do and it worked for me.

No I would be a new member.

By reason of birth (Attercliffe) and upbringing I want to learn more about Sheffield. This site is one way to do it.

The more members and visits, I believe the better chance the owners have to draw in advertising. So it is in the site owners interest to ensure that all visitors are accommodated.

Thanks for the info about cookies though. There appears to be a few established members who cannot get into the site, and they may be able to follow your advice.

To all having trouble posting this thread is posted on Sheffield history so I hope that somebody that can help sees it. To the established members that can't get back on try clearing your cookies that is what worked for me

Looks as if all queries are being blanked and the site remains accessible only to a very limited number of members judging by the number of new posts it has attracted since March. Both Jomie and jaffa1 have made succinct posts on this thread already but a response is still awaited.

A little while ago today I went onto the website and looked at a number of profiles of posters to check their registration acceptance dates and the latest successful person (I could find) to join did so in October 1914. There must have been more interested folk since then who have tried so is it a deliberate policy decision on someone's part to break the site and, in the process, lose a mass of information carefully loaded onto the site over the past years?

Having enjoyed many hours over recent years, reading through so many threads on a variety of subjects, I eventually decided to register but hit the brickwall as apparently have others.:sad:

looks as if all queries are being blanked and the site remains accessible only to a very limited number of members judging by the number of new posts it has attracted since march. Both jomie and jaffa1 have made succinct posts on this thread already but a response is still awaited.

A little while ago today i went onto the website and looked at a number of profiles of posters to check their registration acceptance dates and the latest successful person (i could find) to join did so in october 1914. There must have been more interested folk since then who have tried so is it a deliberate policy decision on someone's part to break the site and, in the process, lose a mass of information carefully loaded onto the site over the past years?

Having enjoyed many hours over recent years, reading through so many threads on a variety of subjects, i eventually decided to register but hit the brickwall as apparently have others.:sad:

1914?:)....................

Yeah - Sorry about the wrong year! Should have been 2014 but brain and fingers don't always work together these days:roll:

Interestingly the SH site today shows only members online;perhaps my last post has upset someone.I'm only trying,with others,to get some response and see that site restored to how it worked earlier.

I have just signed into Sheffield History after a couple of attempts but that was down to me not remembering which letters of my password were capitals

I really hope no one is deliberately blocking potential members. But if it was accidental I think someone would have fixed the problem by now.

I know what you mean with brain and fingers working together, been there done that.

So what do we do now ?

Someone said they may know the owner ? Is it possible some of us could email that person and politely request entrance ?

I really hope no one is deliberately blocking potential members. But if it was accidental I think someone would have fixed the problem by now.

I don't believe anyone is blocking potential members they openly encourage new members.

My belief is the man cannot undo the damage that is done, as you say someone would have fixed it by now. I suggest they call in the experts and recover all that's lost, the sites only a fraction of what it used to be.

It's an odd situation where you have a forum but nobody knows who the administrator/s and moderator/s are. This might be of help. Does anyone know a Neil Hargreaves?