www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

If anyone is a regular to http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk is, can you tell me what the secret is to reaching them ? I have tried continually but it just comes back to "You have failed the security test." The security test by the way is what is 10+19 ?

I am sure 29 is the right answer but the site continues to say no.

Even when you try to contact them it asks the same security question, but they don't like the answer 29 !!! So not possible to contact them at all.

removed ....

Edited by me-and-pippo
comment removed - m&p

I've just tried it out of curiosity and I also failed :hihi: didn't even know about the site and thought it might be interesting.

Ever since the site ''update'' in March there has been a huge reduction in the numbers visiting, down to some 10% of the previous hits from what I have seen.

E-mail attempts have been returned to me saying '451 temporary local problem-please try later' and my attempt to register last March is still awaiting their Admin to contact me.

Sad that such a useful website is now broken and seemingly an exclusive 'Club' for a handful of members. OS plans are still accessible to visitors though.

I could'nt get on the site last night. In the end, I changed my password, added the 10+19 and got on to the site. This morning it says my account is locked and to try again later.

Thank you for bringing this matter up. For some months now I have been trying to help my friend to register on the website and all we get is the failed security message. I must have tried at least two dozen times. Can't get in via Facebook either - says it is pending. It's been like that for about three months.

It would be useful to know who is the administrator/s and why they are not dealing with this? No point in having a forum if they don't want members to join and participate. I'm just wondering if perhaps the person who runs it is ill or perhaps too busy to attend to it. Emails are not bring replied to either.

@me and pippo - how can you solve the problem by private message? Other people are having this problem and maybe they are not members of Sheffield Forum. We need to know what the problem is.

Edited by Jomie

I have been on to the site again but it would not recognise my new password.

I clicked on to the 'forgotten password' box and re entered the same new password

that I used last night. Guess what - it worked.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 13:09 ----------

Just tried it again to make sure it worked.

Password refused again.

I give up.

It would be useful to know who is the administrator/s and why they are not dealing with this? No point in having a forum if they don't want members to join and participate. I'm just wondering if perhaps the person who runs it is ill or perhaps too busy to attend to it. Emails are not bring replied to either.

@me and pippo - how can you solve the problem by private message? Other people are having this problem and maybe they are not members of Sheffield Forum. We need to know what the problem is.

It's not that they don't want members to join it's just that someone has made a HUGE ****-up when they updated and changed everything from working successfully to hardly working at all.

I get the impression that the administrators are just as annoyed about this as the members are ,after all they have spent many dedicated hours in putting invaluable information onto the site.

It seems to me it's the man at the top that's made a balls of this and I don't think he can sort it. I'm a member but I can't get on to this interesting site today, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

It's time someone got it sorted because people are just losing interest.

:rant:

I think I know who the site owner is and how to contact him. I will see if it is him and if so will ask him to try and fix the problem

I don't recognise that forum software. Are they struggling to find someone who is au fait with this? It can be problematic finding folk who are expert with forums. Wondering if it would be best to change the platform to something like vBulletin, phpbb or Simple Machines?

BTW if someone does manage to get hold of the administrator, perhaps they could suggest that an explanatory notice is put on the website so at least folk know there is a problem and it is not just them.

Edited by Jomie

IF it's who I think it is and 'm pretty sure it is he runs a few forums. Not sure why he's let this one lapse maybe he's busy with other stuff? I know a long while back he was disappointed with the lack of traffic on the site so maybe he's concentrating on other things. He has a few business interests.

There is now a thread started on Sheffield History site by registered members asking ''Admin, have you seen this?'' and giving a link to this thread so maybe we will learn more in the immediate (?) future.