Wild edible mushrooms

Hi, does anyone know any good places for picking edible mushrooms? Some of our local woods must have them I'd think .

Any advice appreciated.

Hi, does anyone know any good places for picking edible mushrooms? Some of our local woods must have them I'd think .

Any advice appreciated.

Dont eat yellow snow.

You really need to know what is edible and what is not. Play safe and get them from the shops.

Any advice appreciated.

People don't tend to share their favourite mushroom picking places, especially not on public forums.

People don't tend to share their favourite mushroom picking places, especially not on public forums.

I can appreciate that. Just looking for a one off tomorrow with a mushroom mad friend.

The Longshaw Estate or Ecclesall Wood are good places. Or Loxley Common

The National Trust sometimes do organised mushroom foraging walks. This has the advantage that you won't end up picking a mushroom that could be your last.

Yes birleymoor golf course is full of them perfect time of year for them you have to be up very early before I get them all though! LOL! and before the golfers arrive

I love picking wild mushrooms, but I'm careful to only pick the ones I know for sure are safe. My favourites are the very tasty Wood Blewitts - we always called them "Blue-Stalks" - and these tend to grow in damp, shady wooded areas, where there is lots of rotting leaf-mulch on the ground - particularly in little hollows that are very deep in leaf-mulch. I've gathered these in Beely Woods and in the wooded areas of Loxley Common.

Giant Puff-Balls - which are lovely to eat when young and firm - also grow in abundance in the more open areas of Wadsley Common - especially near the Golf Course. I also find Shaggy Ink-Caps up there too - which we always called "Cocky Lads" - but again, you have to pick these when they are very young and firm, or they will just disintegrate into slimy black mush before you get them home. Also, the farmer's fields surrounding Loxley and Wadsley Commons are a goldmine for your bog-standard field mushrooms and button mushrooms. You may have to indulge in a bit of trespassing to get to them though! I've trespassed many a time when ferreting out my funghi! (Apologies to any local farmers reading this)!

I love picking wild mushrooms, but I'm careful to only pick the ones I know for sure are safe. My favourites are the very tasty Wood Blewitts - we always called them "Blue-Stalks" - and these tend to grow in damp, shady wooded areas, where there is lots of rotting leaf-mulch on the ground - particularly in little hollows that are very deep in leaf-mulch. I've gathered these in Beely Woods and in the wooded areas of Loxley Common.

Giant Puff-Balls - which are lovely to eat when young and firm - also grow in abundance in the more open areas of Wadsley Common - especially near the Golf Course. I also find Shaggy Ink-Caps up there too - which we always called "Cocky Lads" - but again, you have to pick these when they are very young and firm, or they will just disintegrate into slimy black mush before you get them home. Also, the farmer's fields surrounding Loxley and Wadsley Commons are a goldmine for your bog-standard field mushrooms and button mushrooms. You may have to indulge in a bit of trespassing to get to them though! I've trespassed many a time when ferreting out my funghi! (Apologies to any local farmers reading this)!

Yes I agree you have to live dangerously and do a little trespassing to collect mushrooms! I always enjoy being out in the fields early picking them I always manage to see some wildlife fox, badger, owl etc etc brilliant then go back home and fry the mushrooms straight away.

Near Frog Stone

Around Slippery Stones