Man gets 8 years in prison for buying talcum powder!

come on man you know thats just gibberish and deliberetly sensationalist, he THOUGHT and wanted to buy ricin, a banned chemical weapon.

He only got talcum powder because the seller was an undercover agent and obviously aint gonna send him the real deal, he thought it was ricin tho

Yeah, of course it's sensationalist!

So, what puzzles me is this, is crime is about what you *think* you're doing, rather than what you're actually doing?

If I intend to kill someone next week; but haven't actually, as yet, done anything. Can I be put in prison for my intention?

Yeah, of course it's sensationalist!

So, what puzzles me is this, is crime is about what you *think* you're doing, rather than what you're actually doing?

If I intend to kill someone next week; but haven't actually, as yet, done anything. Can I be put in prison for my intention?

so they should let him get the poison and kill 1000s of people BEFORE nabbing him?

i believe they also had other evidence too showing his motives? documents, websites, etc as well as details he was looking at and trying to buy an animal to test it on

plus its not really thinking about buying ricin, he actually bought it, its only because the seller was a fake he DIDNT recieve it

Edited by melthebell

Yup

It's 'intent' isn't it ?

so they should let him get the poison and kill 1000s of people BEFORE nabbing him?

I didn't say that. Did they have clear evidence that he was going to use it? From the BBC article, it sounded like they didn't; and he was in hot water, just because his intent to possess it. That was the impression I got at least; without being privy to the details of the case.

i believe they also had other evidence too showing his motives? documents, websites, etc as well as details he was looking at and trying to buy an animal to test it on

plus its not really thinking about buying ricin, he actually bought it, its only because the seller was a fake he DIDNT recieve it

He didn't buy it. He clearly intended to buy it; but what he actually bought was talc. I'm guessing he could have got it cheaper at ASDA! Would have saved himself a lot of bother too!

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 15:21 ----------

Interesting, and thank for the link sidbobs.

I wonder if they proved he intended to use it then? Or was it just his intent to possess it, that got him 8 years?

I didn't say that. Did they have clear evidence that he was going to use it? From the BBC article, it sounded like they didn't; and he was in hot water, just because his intent to possess it. That was the impression I got at least; without being privy to the details of the case.

He didn't buy it. He clearly intended to buy it; but what he actually bought was talc. I'm guessing he could have got it cheaper at ASDA! Would have saved himself a lot of bother too!

sigh the point is not that he didnt get it, he acted on his thoughts and went out with the intention to buy it, so in theory thats good enough to say he wouldve got it (if the seller was a real seller) like was said above, its the intent not the thoughts, he set out to aquire the goods

Interesting, and thank for the link sidbobs.

I wonder if they proved he intended to use it then? Or was it just his intent to possess it, that got him 8 years?

its a banned chemical compound, just having it makes you liable to being in bother, like i said earlier he also had details that he was viewing to get a small animal to test it, surely that shows intent to use it?

come on man you know thats just gibberish and deliberetly sensationalist, he THOUGHT and wanted to buy ricin, a banned chemical weapon.

He only got talcum powder because the seller was an undercover agent and obviously aint gonna send him the real deal, he thought it was ricin tho

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

Twice in one day !:)